Its Garlic Planting Time

Discussion in 'Temperate Climate Only' started by Robbie, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Garlic is it a herb, spice or vegetable which ever it is one of the most used flavourings in cooking.
    Anyway growing garlic i did put a search in to see if there were any threads on it didn't find anything so here we go what i learned over the years and from garlic growers here in Tassie.

When selecting garlic it should be clean free of moulds and insects the roots should be compact and firm. remove the cloves from the bulb, you are after the largest to medium size the small one's use in the kitchen.
    Before planting soak for 24 hours or over night in water with some seasol added this will help with germination and give it a good start.
    Garden prep: Choose an area that has good drainage and that you don't need for up to 9 months. It is best to have a cover crop in and dug over about a month prior to planting with a ph of between 6 and 7. Plant in rows 15 cm apart and spacing of 10 cm. Plant the cloves 2 cm deep or the first knuckle of your finger with the pointy end up on the clove firm down a little. Garlic does not compete well with weeds so mulch with sugar cane or straw to a depth of 5 to 6 cm. Mid March to early April is the best time to plant in temperate to cool climates and harvest about December when the leaves start to brown off and there are 6 green leaves left on the stem.
    If anybody can add to this or correct me if i have missed anything or got wrong.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. reeeen4

reeeen4 Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    That’s great advice! I’m hoping to plant a lot this year to sell at a farmers market.
    Do you know where you can buy bulk garlic seeds?

3. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    If you go to Australian garlic growers association they will have a list of growers and sellers there.

And i forgot to mention garlic doesn't like a lot of wind so a sheltered spot is best.

4. vivian Furlow

vivian Furlow Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I was smashing garlic to cook and the germ just popped out. I made a hole in some dirt, stuck it in and watered it. It took right off. Less than a week old and 2-3 inches high, very green. I would upload a picture but I don't know how to do it on this site.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    You may not get a big bulb out of it but its good to have ago and see what develops and mine are starting to pop up 150 of them i use alot of garlic in my cooking.

6. Vicky

Vicky Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi Robbie, great adivce, and thanks for the reminder :) I need to plant some out soon. A couple of years ago I planted my garlic into home made wicking beds and I got some really big cloves out of that harvest. I'll be doing that again because we have lots of tree roots here. Have you ever planted a companion plant with garlic or don't they like company?

7. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    Great advice Robbie
    I always plant garlic and planted several different kinds last year
    just one question for you ..... how do you store the Garlic you have grown

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charles Benson

Charles Benson Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Excited about garlic this year, last years Garlic was pretty minature but super tasty I grew a bad variety for my region. This year however I have a local farmers market garlic variety and some fist-sized bulbs, finger crossed its gonna be a good one!

9. reeeen4

reeeen4 Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I just bought 50 bulbs of garlic to plant. Nervous and excited! Fingers Crossed I don't kill them all!

Anyone else planting in Victoria Region? when do you usually plant?

10. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi Vicky i haven't companion planted with garlic but i believe spinach, lettuce can be just spread your rows of garlic out a bit so you can run a row of lettuce or spinach between them. I would use loose leaf lettuce and just pick what you need so it extends your harvest.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Lucas The same as i would with onions after harvest i brush the soil off lay them out on a wire rack in the sun for a few days to cure, Then check them for any rot etc. then suck up to my wife to braid the stems and hang in a cool dry airy space eg. garden shed. snip a bulb off as needed.

12. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    so dont mince or freeze?

13. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    You can freeze minced garlic but it does loose some of its flavour. What i do is take 6 bulbs clean them up mince them with some oil in the processor put in a jar then into the refrigerator use as needed it never lasts long i go though a lot of garlic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mary Playford

Mary Playford Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    One of the easiest things to grow. I usually pop them in here, there and everywhere in my garden :)

15. GKW

GKW Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Have planted my first crop of garlic and it's going great guns at present. Shoots coming up fast and and even nipped off the top of a few for the salad the other night....damn tasty.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Just a up date on my garlic all are growing really well, ready for the winter slow down. i have 200 odd cloves in, in 3 spots in the garden.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  17. GKW

GKW Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Looking good Robbie.

I found myself whacking in more where I found space or some spare pots. Now the waiting game....but I confess to nipping off the tips of some for the salad. Tasty.

edit: pour speling

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sam Jones

Sam Jones Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    (In Adelaide here...)

Early May I planted garlic I bought from a nursery: $14 for about 30 cloves. I once planted cheap Chinese garlic but the bulbs never developed so this time I wasn’t taking any chances.

I’ve planted some in styrofoam boxes using different souls and some in the ground to compare the difference.

Going well so far, and May-October is our rainy season so I don’t need to water or do anything. If it works out then it seems it would be easy to become self-sufficient in garlic if I have the space.

For an interesting use for garlic if you have too much: pickle it in the Iranian way to make aged garlic (you can google how to do it). Iranians age it like wine as it improves over the years, and there are some patient people with garlic in jars that have been ageing for decades.

19. Robbie

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I hadn't thought of pickling garlic considering i preserve, pickle and just started to ferment a few vegetables well sauerkraut mainly. I would also like to try making black garlic a slow process of fermentation over 6 weeks but i would need a slow cooker for that.

20. Sam Jones

Sam Jones Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Torshi sheer (pickled garlic) seems very easy to make. Basically just pour salted vinegar over garlic in a jar and age for at least a year.

These fancy ideas would have been a basic necessity when land was unlimited and people could grow thousands of garlic heads without being able to eat them all. I’d sure love to have that problem!