Itchy Dog

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Perry, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day,
    I have a white Maltese Dog. He has a regular flea tablet. He does not have fleas. He is constantly scratching licking and biting as though he has fleas. I purchased some Oatmeal Shampoo & Conditioner from the Vet. I bathed him and yet he continue to scratch etc. Any Ideas what I can do for him please. He is only 2 years old. Cheers Perry

2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Couple of things you can try. Look into a product from Moo Goo for pets https://drzoo.com.au/ the shampoo etc will be much better than the vet’s products.

Give your dog some Zyrtec, try 1/4 of a tablet. I have a Labrador and I’ve given her half so try a 1/4 with a smaller dog. This will help with the itching but it doesn’t find the cause.

Is his skin dry? If so add some oil, like olive, flax, to his food.

It could be he is sensitive to something in his food as well. Don’t get hypoallergenic dog food from the vet. They cause their own issues. My dog has issues, with beef, chicken, lamb. Also she is on grain free food. I have her on Canidae Ocean. She is also ok on the Costco Salmon. You can go to the pet store and buy grain free dog biscuits and then try in on a fish based one. Just get a small pkt to see how he goes. Keep the list of ingredients to a minimum.

Keep him in doors away from grasses for a while to see if that helps.

If he has sore red patches you can use an eczema type cream for humans on the spots.

It will be a bit of a slow process to find the cause. But the Zyrtec will give him some relief while you sort it out.

Hope this helps :)

3. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day Letsgokate, Thank you for your reply. I will give Zyretec a try. Luck my dog, is a very fussy eater he prefers dry food. Trying to give him a tablet is like fighting with a Lion. If I put it in a piece of cheese he eat the cheese and spit out the tablet. I will see how I go once I get the Zyretec.
    Cheers Perry