It pays to keep your eyes open

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
Driving around this morning, I was on the hunt for plant specimens and pictures thereof , for my herbarium collection- I'm doing my Cert II in Horticulture- and I came across a big mob of these buggers right at the Cadell ferry. Anyone care to guess what they are??
camera 087.jpg

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
Na mate, but morning glory seeds are used the same way as the sap from the seed pods of this one, that is, smoked..Care for another guess??...Anyone?

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
It pays to keep your eyes open. And train your bush skills. Between Morgan and Waikerie, as with elsewhere down here, there are Quandong trees. Many people here do that trip weekly or fortnightly for shopping, cutting the local supermarkets prosperity by patronising Woolworths. No-one I have queried has ever even seen them. I suppose it comes back to recognising opportunity, a skill which is nearly extinct in all walks of life, except this false economy enhanced by the value of the evil dollar.Greed and capitalism. Value these days does not refer to morality nor usefulness.
Years of outback life means that even driving down the road, I find myself checking the fenceline for breaches....(slap ones-self), looking for feral or valued plants, stray animals, or even changes in hue of vegetation that can mean a water leak. It just comes naturally after a while. Second nature. I collected half a shopping bag of Quandongs yesterday for jam and pies, just up the road from Mums.
I think we are all born with this natural curiosity, but a modern life dulls it in most people. The contemptuous ignorance of a city-centric society. The contemptuous ignorance of people not in tune with the land. Taking all for granted and exploiting it in capitalist greed, with no regard for late-ron. Bi-polar to the Aboriginal. I heard the other day that 12 tonnes of iron ore will buy one smart-phone. This is what we have become. A mob of sell-out bastards. The phone stuffs up and we throw it in the bin and buy another. Excuse me for saying-but this is not right. These same people throwing out their bung phones are the ones preaching vegan lifestyles and gay rights. Priorities? What priorities?
Like the Traditional knowledge of this land, the basic skills for survival will be long-lost when, down the track, we really need them.
Not to this little black duck. I shun all that is valued by this society, this penal-colony-gone-mad. This dog-eat-dog political nightmare. Only utilising that which is useful. Only complying where absolutely necessary. I scrounge and recycle others throw-outs, viewing it as booty, glorious, bargain-or-free booty.
I have learnt more from bushies and Aboriginals than any Euro-centric education-by a thousandfold. Readin', Writin', 'Rithmatic and the un-heeded lessons of history are the only worthy values of European influence. They replaced the system that was, removing the lessons of history from tribal law to detriment.
Now we have professionals and politicians that can't spell, let alone discern right from wrong. Their cotton-wool lives distorting reality and their idealistic decisions badly effecting all.
I have no respect for this mentality, nor its enforcers. Call me what you will, I will have the last laugh. The laconic and dry Aussie humour is the evolution of hard reality, and ongoing witness of delusional idealists falling on their swords.
Mother Nature is my God. Ned Kelly and Rodney Clavell are my martyrs.

Last edited:

Jenni

Premium Member
Aug 31, 2014
Gold Coast
MMM still stumped.. Its not Goatsfoot cause its not a vine. Its not Desert Potato cause that is only up north. Is it a native plant?

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
Nope. It is grown extensively in Afghanistan and the Golden Triangle (Burma,Laos,Thailand). Northern India, and parts of Tasmania.

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
Very good. A gold star and an elephant stamp for you! I sprinkled some poppy seeds around the garden about a month ago- I noticed today they are popp-y-ing up! :hysterical:They were the Hoyts brand from the supermarket. It will be interesting to see what colour flowers they are! The ones at the ferry probably started from someone throwing out a bread crust. They are quite common down here. From my understanding it is not illegal to grow them, but a Federal offence to collect the sap, rightly so....

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Very good. A gold star and an elephant stamp for you! I sprinkled some poppy seeds around the garden about a month ago- I noticed today they are popp-y-ing up! :hysterical:They were the Hoyts brand from the supermarket. It will be interesting to see what colour flowers they are! The ones at the ferry probably started from someone throwing out a bread crust. They are quite common down here. From my understanding it is not illegal to grow them, but a Federal offence to collect the sap, rightly so....
Well, I did need your hint to give it a good guess...

Not illegal to grow hey? You'd think it would be...

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 6, 2014
They would have to lock up half the Grannies in Morgan mate....If government stupidity ever reaches that extreme, the God help us all ! Mind you, it's getting pretty close. Apparently we need them guvment types to think for us, as we' re unable to make informed decisions on our own, due to their propagandist brainwashing of the lemmings. I mean, they can't allow an informed majority, otherwise they would be turfed out in an instant.......If people were as passionate about their outcomes as the footy, the political game would be long ended!