Is Residential solar power still too expensive?

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Mark, Jun 7, 2013.

?

Is Residential Solar Power Still Too Expensive?

Poll closed Aug 7, 2013.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Not Sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Take your time Chris - I sat on my decision for a very long time personally... When I got my solar quote they set up their equipment and then gauged what power my system should generate from my roof pitch, direction, inverter size, etc. Then Brett entered this data into a computer modeling program along with my previous electricity usage plus my loan repayments, and his laptop did the sums. Overall, it showed getting solar was going to save me money even with loan repayments so I decided to take the plunge and was happy I did.

My sister and brother in-law just moved into their new home in Toowoomba on a 2.5 acre block - they put in a 4 kW system and are on the new lower tariff scheme. They are extremely happy with the results and it's still only early days too.

You're doing the right thing by gathering info first (both emotional and facts) and considering your decision rather than signing up with the first sales rep.

2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here's a great website with lots of news/regular reports about solar. You can click through "next" pages to get more news articles. Some are pretty interesting with talk about offgrid systems in future.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/category/solar

• Like Like x 2
  3. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've had two lots of door to door salesmen turn up at my house earlier in the week, they wanted to sign me up.

The first fellas asked how much I spend on the bill, I replied with $50 a month, he couldn't believe it, he shook my hand and said congratualtions and thanks for your time, and walked off. The second fellas asked the same questions but said they could still make it cheaper with one of their systems, which I didn't believe, they'd just sign me up for a very small system and then it'd have no impact on my bill anyway, and guarantee that if I signed up and found it to be more expensive there'd be no come back, and that bloke probably wouldn't be working there next week anyway.

little rant for today

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I can't stand door to door sales people full stop! Had a guy in Sydney once insist on giving me a vacuum cleaner demonstration in return for a free baking tray (no strings attached) so I let him in and watched the demo then got my free tray then told him I did not want to buy the vacuum. He started crying like a baby lol and pleading with me...

• Like Like x 1
  5. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    yeah it'd suck as a job, going around intentionally conning people to get your small commission from a dodgy company you work for.

• Agree Agree x 1