Is my duck egg dead???

Alison

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
My duck egg is 25 days old. I have been on holiday for a week and before I left I could see him moving around loads. It would have been around day 15. Whilst away, I took my egg round to my mums so she could egg sit! Turn and spray him etc. And when I got back last Wednesday, I couldn't see him moving and it looks like a dark smudge with loads of white - is this normal or is he a quitter? I'd say the white is about 75% of the egg. Many thanks,
Alison

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My duck egg is 25 days old. I have been on holiday for a week and before I left I could see him moving around loads. It would have been around day 15. Whilst away, I took my egg round to my mums so she could egg sit! Turn and spray him etc. And when I got back last Wednesday, I couldn't see him moving and it looks like a dark smudge with loads of white - is this normal or is he a quitter? I'd say the white is about 75% of the egg. Many thanks,
Alison
Hi Alison, it's hard to tell because looks and movement aren't always 100% right when telling if an egg has died.

Also, depending on the breed duck eggs hatch out around 25 - 35 days give or take a few days so at 25 it would be premature to right-off the egg just yet.

What breed is it?

If you have candled the egg and can't see much development since the last time then that's not a good sign but I would wait until term at least to see.

Top Bottom