Question Is it normal for Ginger to die back?

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Perry, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day,
    Please could somebody tell me what has gone wrong with my Ginger.
    The Ginger was growing really well. I received a message when I asked about how to tell when you could harvest it. I was told after flowered. It never flowered. Now it looks like it is dying. I have only used Worm Pee & Blood & Bone to fertilizer it. Where I am, I never get frost. I would appreciate any suggestion.
    Cheers Perry

Attached Files:

2. Dione

Dione Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It dies back when it gets cool. It doesn't need to get frosted to die back either. Time to harvest it.

3. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Those manures don't contain enough potassium to cause flowering so the plant died without maturing.
    It will still have some roots which you can harvest.

4. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It's normal for it to die back - usually starts around autumn - so don't worry too much. You can either dig it up and replant (do this is spring) or just leave it and it will sprout again. If you want to optimise production you'll need to dig it up at some point as it will become quite congested and less productive. The flavour of ginger changes quite a bit depending on its age when harvested. Milder when younger, more potent as it matures. If you would prefer an evergreen that tastes similar, try galangal. I think it's a much prettier plant. I've never had flowers on my edible ginger either! Turmeric (completely different flavour) flowers quite readily, but like ginger, dies back.

• Like Like x 1