Question Is free compost from the dump/tip safe to use in the garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Mark, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hey! Stop picking on me guys... :p

I have nut grass anyway but it wasn't from the council mulch surprisingly - I'm almost certain our infestation came from a landscape place hidden in the garden soil mix I purchased :mad:

It really is the devil and all you can do is keep digging it out as best as possible thankfully it seems to be isolated to a few places around the garden.

2. Comfort

Comfort Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Using a wicking bed style system minimises weeds as you don't water from the top so the top soil layer stays dry other than when it rains... I notice a massive difference between my normal raised beds and the wicking beds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    All your talk about nut grass makes me laugh. If you think nut grass is bad you haven't met the true anti Christ of weeds. That is three corner jack!
    If you bought mulch from our local tip you can almost guarantee you will get three corner jack. The local tip takes local green waste for a fee, when they have a big enough pile they put it through the chomper and sell it back to the locals for a price. There is no heat treatment so you get what ever weeds people have pulled out of their gardens and want to get rid off and in our area that would certainly include the dreaded three corner jack

• Like Like x 1
  4. Comfort

Comfort Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Three corner jacks had me scratching my head till Google showed me they are what I call Goat Heads.....

Typical names other people might know this wonder as include Cape spinach, devil’s face, doublegee, dubbeltjie, goat’s head burr, jackie, prickly jack, caltrop, cat head, cat's eye, double-gee, spiny emex and three cornered jack

A recent trip back to Townsville reacquainted me with this wonder.... ouch!

5. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    They are a weed that not only laughs at humans puny attempts to kill it, it attacks in fact I am sure it goes out of its way to attack.

6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That three corner jack is a nasty thing to step on I've done it unfortunately but thankfully we don't have it on our property.

7. Janine

Janine Active Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Don't know what nut grass is but I won't use Council mulch cos of my nemesis the Bindi (or Three corner Jack ) and marshmallow weed
    When I bought the propery it didn't have any. Reclaimed the place a couple of years ago after tenanted and "voila" tenant be gone weeds growing rapidly and almost needs the whole top rich dark brown, haven't had a crop in it for seven years soil replacement ...
    So it's a no for Council mulch from me
    Hmm and no to tenants with no gardening ability