Introducing New Quail to the flock how to

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Billy Gifford, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Billy Gifford

Billy Gifford Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Tropical
    How do introduce Quail to an existing flock.
    I tried placing a smaller cage inside then letting them out but they got bullied so I had to remove them. Any suggestions
    Thanks

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Billy,

how long did you try them together and what type of bullying?

The reason I ask is sometimes it takes a little time for the birds to find their pecking order and if the bullying isn't too bad it can often improve to normal levels.

The other things you can try are:
    • Expand the overall size of your pen to enable birds to easily escape from bullies and find their own territory.
    • Use obstacles such as bessa-bricks, pot plants, logs etc to create natural barriers making it easier for bullied quail to run and hide.
    • Keep similar varieties. Often the majority will pick on the minority, for example, Texas A&M tend to get targeted by indigenous Coturnix.
    • Reduce the numbers of males - it's mainly male Roos that fight especially when there are more than 1 per 4 females they will compete for the girls.
    • Duplicate feed and drink stations at different sides of the pen so the bullied birds can get a feed if one station is occupied.
    I hope this helps, sorry for not answering sooner but I didn't see your post until now...

Welcome to SSC :)