Introducing Myself

Margarita Castaneda

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'm new to this Forum, I'm Margarita and live in Cottonwood Ca. located in Northern Ca. I enjoy learning from those who have gleamed from learned experience. I have a hobby of studying the dynamics of a Herbalist living. I welcome feedback from all.

Margarita Castaneda

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi @Margarita Castaneda welcome to SSC! Thanks for joining us :)
Hi @Margarita Castaneda welcome to SSC! Thanks for joining us :)
Thank you Mark and all staff at SSC. I'm looking so forward to being a part of a Self Sufficient Culture: Rich in defercity and wisdom but most of all PASSION in what we love best. Again, thank you for welcoming me in. I have some things that I would love to share with the rest of the family. I suppose the best way to learn to blog or thread is just jump in there and do it. I'm interest however; with the points being noted? What is that about. And, is there a limit as to how often to reply or post? I never want to wear my posts with the family. I'm part Native American and have been passed down family receipts for healing, my mother and her mother were healers. I was taught my the culture of my people and the herbs that they used to hearl with. I would love to share one day some of these gold nuggets with the family. Thanks a million for the heartfelt welcome.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome to the forum, Margarita.
I look forward to hearing more about the healing herbs in particular.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome Margarita. I love your avatar photo of the Bissen.
And Ash answered the question I had regarding what Ca. stood for; California or Carolina.
We would love to read about your traditional recipes for Native food & healing.
Just a note which is a little off topic & rather away from the aims of this forum but really cant be passed up..... That is the recent act of Trump to remove the protections to the traditional lands in Utah. Just terrible.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
That, and every other environmental act he has signed, ClissAT.

Margarita Castaneda

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome to the forum, Margarita.
I look forward to hearing more about the healing herbs in particular.
Darren I'm new to all this technology, computer language stuff. I tried to log in a few days ago and had problems. Anyhow, I thank you for welcoming me to the forum. Thanks. You stated, you would like to know more about the herb culture? Anything in particular? I'm not only very much into learning about different herbs but my mother, and grandmother, and her mother before were all Native American Healers and Seer's. Most of the herbs I grow or use my mothers have used for generations. Thanks for showing interest in our Mother Earth and her goodness.

Margarita Castaneda

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello ClassAT: Not sure what was meant by Avatar? These are really my Bison? Anyhow, really appreciate your interest in Native American Dishes' we have several really main dishes. My favorite is Nopla's it is fine tender cactus leaves cooked with paparika and eggs filled in a hand patted rough corn mash Biscuit. There are many healing herbs and rituals that our tribe used for healing of Body, Mind, Spirit. I would have to know exactly what area or illness you would want to know more about. Thanks for showing interest in this our wonderful Mother Earth and for your inquiry.

Margarita Castaneda

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Wow, welcome and great to have a Californian joining us.
Ash: Thanks, it's great to venture out of one's comfort zone. I'm not your norm California girl, mind you! I was born in Texas, and that should explain the reason! I believe in simplicity, truth, and what is right. Like most of us Americans. I'm really interested in living within my means and back to my traditional ways. The Native American Culture my mother was raised by. I love herbs, gardens, fishing, crabbing, hitting, hunting, all the boy stuff. I had six older brother's only two are left. So, I really didn't have a choice to choose what I was going to do or play. I was one of the boys. But, I turned out all woman through it all. If you one has anything special on the minds that they would like to text about let me know. Thanks everyone for sharing and welcoming me.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I always wonder about corn. Today's corn is not like the original plant by any means.
These days it is bred for sweetness & juiciness apart from its use for fuel & breaking up into various sugars, fructose & chemicals for just about everything.
But the original corn would have imparted a much different flavour & texture to the meals that were made with it.

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
@ClissAT, as well as the sweetcorn varieties, you still can get seeds for maize and other corn varieties.

Margarita Castaneda

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Composting with Egg corn Hulls it's simple however; degradation takes longer. The benefits are wonderful. In my area on Northern California there are several species of the valley Oak trees. Some are less toxic with Turpentine Sap. The White Oak have a larger husk (shell) that when soaked for several weeks comes off the egg corn. It's the hull that is put into the compost area and covered with leaves, dirt and some sand. I turn it twice once a week and the first two weeks. After the fifth week I add red worms which I purchase from the local tackle or bait shop in Cottonwood. During the year I add kitchen greens, coffee grounds, egg shells, the norm into the compost bin. No, fat or meats, bones that may cause maggots. Just, good kitchen scraps for composting. After several months, "Boy", the compost is dark and rich. The egg corn is dried slow and toasted, then ground into a mesh which is then ground finer into a flour. If anyone out there has oaks trees try this. It's amazing for plants.

Top Bottom