Incubator Chinese No name JN 48 Manual

Mariette

Premium Member
{scroll down to see the attached manual in post #5}

I am currently working with this incubator, so far I have no manual with and have watched videos too see what others have done. We started it last night and the last update is that the humidity is 58 % and there has been no turning operation as it should turn every 2 hours.

We are thinking to put 6 eggs in and to turn them manually 3-4 times a day.

Any input or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mariette Johansson

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mariette, and welcome to SSC!

I know this might be a silly question but are you sure the egg turner is properly plugged into the unit? Check the plug and connections and make sure it isn't turning by placing something on the turning tray (like a bottle top) to see if it is moving at all as it is sometimes hard to tell. If the automatic egg turner isn't turning you should get a refund.

The humidity can be regulated by adding water to the bottom plastic tray into the raised compartments. Just add a little water to start with (about a cup) and see how the humidity reads after about 1 hour - try and keep the humidity between 50 to 70 % so you may need to add more or less water as needed.

It's also a good idea to calibrate the unit and make sure the reading on the unit (particularly temperature) is accurate. Do this by using a separate thermometer placed inside the unit on top of the auto-turner and make sure the temperatures match within about .5 of a degree. You'll want the temp of the unit to be as close to 37.5 C or 100 F as possible.

Run the unit for at least 24 hours and monitor the temp and humidity once it remains stable you can then add eggs.

If you can't get the auto-turner to work you can still operate the incubator manually if you wish, as you say, by turning the eggs regularly at least 45 degrees.

If you are having trouble with the acronyms on the control panel let me know and I can add what they mean here.

Mariette

Premium Member
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer. So far I have been able to set the temperature, and humidity was when I left this morning 62-63 %. I have placed 11 eggs in there as well as manual thermometer to check the temperature. I started it this morning so will go and check the temperature in the next hour or so.

How do (if needed) set the humidity so the alarm will kick in if it's low, although will check it every couple of hours as I'm off to work during the day but can pop in to check during the days.

The turning is operating fine so far.

If there is a manual of this incubator, would you be able to photograph the pages and sent to me?
Thanks,
Mariette

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The turning is operating fine so far.

Great to hear!

If there is a manual of this incubator, would you be able to photograph the pages and sent to me?

Good idea, I will scan the pages and post them here for you and anyone else who doesn't have the manual.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Find attached the PDF for the JN848 Egg Incubator Manual in English pages 1 to 15 - this is much better quality than the images below. The size is just over 1 MB.

Edit: Sorry, I had to reload the images and make them better quality.

Edit 2: Apparently, if your unit is having trouble with the counter it can be reset by pressing the buttons (+) and (-) at the same time for 5 seconds.

Attachments

• JN848 Incubator Manual Chinese chicken poultry in English.pdf
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 32,222
Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Here is the manual for the JN8-48 Egg Incubator scanned in image format. Attached Above these images is a better quality PDF file for download. I hope this helps! For any questions about this manual please just ask :)

JN848 Incubator Manual page 1 (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 2.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 3.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 4.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 5.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 6.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 7.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 8.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 9.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 10.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 11.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 12.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 13.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 14.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg
JN848 Incubator Manual page 15.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg.jpeg (Small).jpeg

Mariette

Premium Member
Hi Mark,
Being a newbie and doing this for the first time.. currently a manual thermometer shows 37 degrees and will get a digital as well to have the exact temp, and the humidity has been steady now 63%, my concern that is it to high as reading the manual where it said 55% for the first 18 days then increase it up to 60-65 % for hatching??

Thanks for your help :)
Cheers, Mariette

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mark,
Being a newbie and doing this for the first time.. currently a manual thermometer shows 37 degrees and will get a digital as well to have the exact temp, and the humidity has been steady now 63%, my concern that is it to high as reading the manual where it said 55% for the first 18 days then increase it up to 60-65 % for hatching??

Thanks for your help :)
Cheers, Mariette
There's some technical correctness to keep the humidity around the 50's and then increase it to about 65 towards the end of the cycle so that hatching out is made easier on the chicks.

Personally, I think there are many variables affecting hatch rate and worrying about getting the humidity exactly right is the least problem. When it comes to the operation of the incubator, I like to concentrate on what NOT to do such as:
  • Don't let the humidity go under 50% or the eggs may dry out;
  • Don't let the humidity go over 70% or the chicks may drown in their shells;
  • Don't let the temperature fluctuate too much over a long period (try and keep it at 37.5 constantly);
  • Don't open the incubator during hatching; and
  • Don't assume the incubators instruments are correct - always calibrate and cross check with an independent thermometer/hygrometer if possible.
When incubating eggs for the first time I think sticking to the basic points above is the way to go and you will improve or refine your skills and knowledge over time and as you get used to your incubator.

If you spend too much effort trying to get the humidity exactly spot on all of the time you'll end up opening the incubator too much. I would leave the humidity as is for now and let it slowly fall rather than removing any water etc and then when it requires filling again perhaps use just one channel until close to hatching then use both.

Mariette

Premium Member
Dear Mark,
Yesterday we put a digital hygrometer inside the incubator, the outside panel shows 55-58% and the digital reader showed 72%. Any advice please, Thanks Marie

Mariette

Premium Member
PS, the temperature has been on a manual thermometer around 36-37 degrees, those times when it was 36, I increased the temp on the display to 38.8 two days ago. Now with the digital reader, the temp shows to be very close 38.7. Is it safe to reduce it down gradually to 37.5 over a few days? What happens if it's too warm for the eggs? Thanks again, Mariette

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mariette, I'd leave the water and it should reduce down in the next few days (are you using just the one channel?)

In regards to the temp being slightly too high, if you reduce the temp down over a few days to 37.5 it should be fine. If the temp remains high through most of the period the chicks will probably hatch out early and potentially show signs of under development so try to keep the temp consistent and as close to 37.5 (100F) as possible.

Please let me know how you go...

Mariette

Premium Member
Hi Mark!

I have been using the front channel for adding water, and my friend has alternated but only one at the time. Humidity has settled down since yesterday and has been 56% yesterday. This morning, my friend was woken up by the alarm, humidity was 41% and temperature was either 33 or 37 degrees Celsius. She then added water and 30 minutes later, temperature was up to 37.2 degrees, it varied from 36.6 to 37.2 so I came down to monitor it hourly. Since 10 AM, temperature has been 37.5 (37.3) and humidity 64-65%.

Questions:
1. We do have quiet wet weather here in UK at the moment, does that have an impact on either temperature and humidity?
2. Does the temperature and humidity have cycles of heat waves, as it not consistent especially during the night?

Mark, I do appreciate your help and support, If I ever come back to OZ, I look forward to shake your hands to say thank you.
Cheers,
Mariette

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That's great to hear the humidity has settled somewhat Mariette.

Fluctuations in humidity will happen and it can indeed be affected by local conditions. I like to place my incubator in my home office as it is best protected from temperature fluctuations. Others here have built a simple box to enclose the incubator for extra protection from external temperature fluctuations.

The key to using an incubator like this model is to keep the environment around it as stable as possible once it has been calibrated. Minor changes in temp for short periods shouldn't matter too much but changes over a degree for several hours isn't good.

As a hobbiest I can accept the odd poor hatch rate but a serious breeder would prefer to use a much more expensive incubator to ensure better results.

Persist with it and see how you go. I enjoy interacting with people and answering questions about poultry or self sufficiency in general so feel free to ask anything here :)

Oh, just one other point are you intending to candle your eggs and see if they are growing? This can be helpful. Just don't have the eggs out for more than 20 minutes so try and candle them as quickly as possible and return them.

Mariette

Premium Member
Dear Mark,

The last two nights, we have had the alarm setting off due to low humidity at 3.30AM, and a temperature drop from 37.5 to 36 degrees in the morning from 3.30AM to 6AM. Temperature is holding 37.2-37.5 during the days.

Yes we are going to candle the eggs so are working on to get the right gear for that, thought to leave it to the second week and we are now on day 9.

Cheers,
Mariette

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mariette,

I assume you haven't got your incubator anywhere near where it can get a breeze because that really should be the only way the temp would drop by 1.5 degrees (if it got hit by wind etc).

The only other thing I can think of is if the ambient temperature drops rather quickly between 3:30 and 6:00? If so, the incubator heating element might be having trouble keeping up with the change. Could you try insulating around the bottom sides of the unit with something like a few pillows or foam etc? This might help the unit hold its heat during the morning when it cools down.

If this doesn't work, it may be your incubator is faulty and not holding the temperature as it should. The heating element should work better than that in my opinion so I'm a bit concerned.

Please let me know how you go, and yes, leave the candling until later that's a good idea...

Mariette

Premium Member
Hi Mark,

For the moment, it has been steady both temp and humidity, for a day and a half now. cross my fingers.
Until about 1 hour or so later, humidity drop again, luckily we just got in to check and the alarm had gone off.. and temperature was low as well

Tonight we tried to wrap a blanket around it and left it for 5 minutes or so, checked the temperature inside and it went up to 38.2 degrees so we removed it quickly again.

Where it is standing is in the corner and it may be that cold air is coming from the outside wall so we moved in a bit and have now closed curtains and the door will be closed during the night.

We will do the candling on Friday night.
Cheers,
Mariette

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Tonight we tried to wrap a blanket around it and left it for 5 minutes or so, checked the temperature inside and it went up to 38.2 degrees so we removed it quickly again.
Perhaps, next time you incubate a new batch you could try wrapping the blanket around and running it a few days before without any eggs until the temp is stable on 37.5 then once you're happy with the settings then add the eggs. Just a thought...

Mariette

Premium Member
Hi Mark,

We have done the candling of the eggs now, and there is one left. Realizing that the eggs may have been too old, and that the eggs at the time of collecting could be handled so the yolk was broken, had lots of clear eggs and a few with a black lump that was moving around.

We are on day 18 now and for a week or so we had a digital hydrometer too read the temperature and humidity without having to open the incubator. Unfortunately, it didn't read correctly, had a difference of 2 degrees down and humidity was lower so from tomorrow then when I'll take the tray out, I will be relying on what shows on the display, which is a bit of a worry.

Reading the manual, it says to remove the trays after day 18, we started on May 17 8.30 AM, do I have to wait until tomorrow morning to remove the tray to pass the 8.30 AM time or is it OK to do it today?

Cheers,
Mariette

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mariette, removing the tray half a day early or late won't make much difference in my opinion.

Hatching should be starting soon remember to leave the hatching go for a few days over just in case there's any late ones.

Top Bottom