I'm off corn

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Tony Baker, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Tony Baker

Tony Baker Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Got some open pollinated seed and planted them out. Pumping the water into them but just can't keep up. Cobs are looking pretty ordinary. Being on tank water I just can't justify the water I use for them. I may try again in a wicking bed but won't be doing them in a raised bed again.

2. Jenny

Jenny Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    It is tough trying to grow anything in drought conditions. When is you rainy season, winter or summer?

In the past I haven't had much luck with corn that I grew in containers on my patio, with dismal yields.

This time round I planted them in the soil in my alleyway instead. The seeds I planted in Sept at first grew nicely, but eventually most of the plants got strangled and toppled over by the pumpkin vines. I then planted another batch of a seed (different variety) during Oct/Nov in another bed in the alleyway and they are growing tall and strong, no ears on it yet though, so will have to wait an see if I will get any decent sized corn, this time around. I only planted a few seeds though, as an experiment and if it does well, then next spring I will plant on a bigger scale.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  3. Tony Baker

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Its supposed to be our rain season now but its been very poor. We just bought a load of water today and I'll be carting water in my ICB all next week.

4. Jenny

Jenny Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Ah ok so you also in Summer Rainfall area. It sucks that you have to buy water though. I know drilling boreholes is expensive, but isn't that perhaps an option to look at in the future?

5. Tony Baker

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The bore water in my area is slightly salty. OK for stock to drink but not good for the garden.