Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
When I saw the topic heading within the forums, I just saw.... "I lost 10 kilograms by watching por..." and thought it may have been spam or Mark had lost it :hysterical:
OMG keep it clean guys... :D
Anyway... how could one possibly lose weight by watching... it.... better off doing LOL

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have struggled with my weight for a long time, until now, i have some kind of stomach issues so ive turned to paleo, which i actually am really enjoying. :) i cant eat corn though makes me sick for a few days, and i have to be vigilant about even buying a soy coffee out as alot of soy milks have nasty ingredients that can make me look pregnant from bloating up so bad.

My advice for everyones best health is to cut out the grains completely. I tell ya, cauliflower rice is actually insanely delicious and saves alot of time in the kitchen. Paleo diets will really help in avoiding nasty deseases, cancer, heart conditions, brain conditions etc. The benefits are unreal..

And my last tip: dont believe what 'they' tell us ie; eat every few hours for your metabolisim ( thats simply not true and not scientifically backed)
You need milk for calcium (also false)
And dobt trust the food triangle, its totally backwards .

If you want to hear scientific evidence Dr Michael Van Der Schelden is your man, hes help me understand alot.

One mans passion is another's poison.
I cant eat much meat these days & I love it to bits. I tried paleo but got in all sorts of bother unfortunately.
During dieting I get very weak & tired from reducing the energy providers since they are the things that also make me fat when I apparently consume too much.
However I also take some medications that keep me walking & alive, but they have unfortunate side effects of holding weight or making it very hard to loose it.
Pushing through that is very hard. It works for a short while then the body says, that's it! no more!
Several years ago I lost 30kgs over 6mths on a diet I designed for myself using all the nutritional information I had learned over many years. For a long time I kept that weight off then my kidneys started playing up & I had to go on a medication so the weight went back on over 2yrs but thankfully not to the previous full extent.
I was able to finally stop the rot 7kgs short of my previous top weight. Now I keep plateauing at 92kg. So far I'm unable to crack that one to get under it.
After I lost all that weight I wallowed in a self congratulatory glow until I discovered the real reason I lost the weight was not only due to the diet but to unassociated medical reasons. That took the wind out of my sails I can tell you! :D

The other thing I would say about diets or eating preferences is that as we age we are less able to get the full amount of nutrition from the food we eat. When we are young we can go on any diet & it will seem to work, such as going vego or now its paleo. But as we get into our 50s onwards, our systems loose the capacity to make do. So things creep in that cause problems.

Sasha Bushell

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great insight clissat!

Thanks for sharing and Mark, i forgot to say congratulations!

Im now just tipping a 5kg loss and have to roll the tops of my jeans down to keep them up, i hope you have some smaller clothes to put on, i unfortunately dont really have smaller clothes as i accepted the fact i wasnt going to loose weight.. and here i am...

Kasalia

http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/
Premium Member
Website
retired2006.blogspot.com.au
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My sister last month went through a virtual gastric banding which is done by a trained hypnotherapist and so far lost 8 kgs. She is just not hungry anymore like before and feels full on a bread and butter plate meal. Downsized the mugachino to a cup, no biscuit. She is feeling great and looking at losing about 20kgs.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes it certainly does get harder to keep the pounds off as we get older for many reasons including the natural aging process but exercise (such as gardening) is really helpful in curbing weight gain.

I found I was simply eating more than I needed with respect to the activity I was undertaking.

My main meals used to be eat until full but now it's more like eat and still feel slightly under full - if that makes sense...?

I'm finding this approach is helping to keep the weight down and also makes me feel less bloated.

StuartGrows

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have struggled with my weight for a long time, until now, i have some kind of stomach issues so ive turned to paleo, which i actually am really enjoying. :) i cant eat corn though makes me sick for a few days, and i have to be vigilant about even buying a soy coffee out as alot of soy milks have nasty ingredients that can make me look pregnant from bloating up so bad.

My advice for everyones best health is to cut out the grains completely. I tell ya, cauliflower rice is actually insanely delicious and saves alot of time in the kitchen. Paleo diets will really help in avoiding nasty deseases, cancer, heart conditions, brain conditions etc. The benefits are unreal..

And my last tip: dont believe what 'they' tell us ie; eat every few hours for your metabolisim ( thats simply not true and not scientifically backed)
You need milk for calcium (also false)
And dobt trust the food triangle, its totally backwards .

If you want to hear scientific evidence Dr Michael Van Der Schelden is your man, hes help me understand alot.

Have you heard about FODMAPs by chance?

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm intrigued you've come across that one...apparently originally created by an Australian dietician, and backed by research at the dietetics department at monash uni. (But hey, lots of people stick their hand up and say "I invented that" after the fact...so I'm not sure if they just created a version of it - Sue has allegedly been using the diet for her clients since the 1990s, and it's now recommended by most gastros inAust for IBS)
They both have a lot of similarities...avoid sugars (esp added sugar), legumes, dairy and excess fruit. FODMAPs allows for grain in smaller amounts...which paleo doesn't. Both require a lot of effort and commitment as there's a lot that has to be home cooked - and that's often beyond a lot of people...which is a shame, as no one seems to take their health seriously until they become unwell. (Sorry...that's a gross generalisation)
I'm a big fan on "eat the least processed food that you possibly can"...so if it has lots of packaging, avoid it. Different folks have different problems, so I'm not sure that 1 single diet can cater to everyone.
I personally don't have an issue with dairy...I quite like that both paleo and FODMAPs say "avoid dairy if it causes you grief" (ie a primal diet). But I think you'd have a hard time selling the paleo "no corn" rule to Sth Americans!
I'm lucky as I don't generally have IBS, allergies etc, but still follow a "whole food" policy as much as I can. Just seems to be quite logical. Of course, wine is ok...it's just fermented fruit after all! ;)

Sasha Bushell

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Indeed i have :) i have a book on my buffet as i am writing this, have been reading it through last week.. onto paleo recipe books this week.
Then back to looking at intermittent fasting next week :)

Sasha Bushell

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm intrigued you've come across that one...apparently originally created by an Australian dietician, and backed by research at the dietetics department at monash uni. (But hey, lots of people stick their hand up and say "I invented that" after the fact...so I'm not sure if they just created a version of it - Sue has allegedly been using the diet for her clients since the 1990s, and it's now recommended by most gastros inAust for IBS)
They both have a lot of similarities...avoid sugars (esp added sugar), legumes, dairy and excess fruit. FODMAPs allows for grain in smaller amounts...which paleo doesn't. Both require a lot of effort and commitment as there's a lot that has to be home cooked - and that's often beyond a lot of people...which is a shame, as no one seems to take their health seriously until they become unwell. (Sorry...that's a gross generalisation)
I'm a big fan on "eat the least processed food that you possibly can"...so if it has lots of packaging, avoid it. Different folks have different problems, so I'm not sure that 1 single diet can cater to everyone.
I personally don't have an issue with dairy...I quite like that both paleo and FODMAPs say "avoid dairy if it causes you grief" (ie a primal diet). But I think you'd have a hard time selling the paleo "no corn" rule to Sth Americans!
I'm lucky as I don't generally have IBS, allergies etc, but still follow a "whole food" policy as much as I can. Just seems to be quite logical. Of course, wine is ok...it's just fermented fruit after all! ;)
I like to think of wine as an ancient pre grain product, and there are preservative free wine which i drink :) not often, maybe a glass or two at the end of a month but i do enjoy it.

Lucky for me i enjoy cooking. I enjoy preparing everything, i make 90% of sauces in our house.. i cant make oyster sauce or fish sauce, i have no interest in that, ill leave that to the experts, i also make my own mayonaise and condiments, saurkraut and soon to start making kombucha i think. And of course bone broth, its so easy, and the expense of it at the shops = $20 a litre. I think not! I make my bone broth from the bones after dinner. I made about 12 litres of it over the weekend so hopefully that should last me a while.

Omg i got way off there.. what i was trying to say is i agree with you, its not for everyone but if you take your health seriously its definitely for you.

Janine

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Mark, stop looking, I found your lost 10kgs. It's quite safe. Will return it cos I'd rather not have it reentered into my lifestyle. Thanks I'll send it back reply paid.

Wayland.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I know this is an old thread but one close to my heart. My problem is my good lady Gloria! Bless her heart but she has for many many years been trying to loose weight. We have all the books, CD's, Videos, etc etc from Atkins to Weight Watchers. Still she tries. To give her some of support I go on the diets with her:quiver:. After a while she looks at me and calls me a boney bastard and gives up! The trouble is she hates to feel hungry. So what is this paleo? Any advice would be appreciated.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey Wayland,
How lovely that you actually go on the diet too...my other half wouldn't even consider doing that! But I guess it must be annoying if she then sees you lose weight while she doesn't (I'd probably wanna kill Rob if that happened - or maybe just lace his meals with sugar & fat!)
Paleo is basically high protein, low carb. It's "meant" to be based on "caveman" diets, where certain foods (think many bean/grains/pulses) wouldn't have been palatable because they hadn't learnt how to process them - so paleo avoids these. Many people become dairy intolerant as they age (in theory many white anglo-saxons lose their lactase enzymes,so dairy makes them feel pretty awful.) so Paleo says, if you're this way inclined, avoid dairy. If you strictly follow paleo, "they" say you don't need to calorie count - the weight should fall off. (Not sure I believe that one). So there's no added sugar, no grains/pulses/beans, no dairy (but if you tolerate dairy then it's OK...and they call this the "Primal" diet). They recommend only 1 piece of fruit daily from memory because of the high sugar content, and (because fruit is traditionally seasonal) are quite happy with the notion of foregoing fruit for months at a time. I like it because the basic premise is that if it looks like something out of nature, it's generally OK. Not sure about the bean avoidance! I've tried it...expensive way of eating, but pretty enjoyable. Didn't lose weight unless I calorie counted.

Wayland.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi OskarDoLittle. Thanks for the interesting reply. We have never heard of this Paleo/Primal before. Looks interesting and just a bit logical. I will investigate this further. Apparently hairy Mammoths were on the cave men menu. Gloria asks. Do you still have them in Australia? Thanks again and good luck.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The problem I have with the paleo diet is it assumes the primative humans ate meat every day when in fact they were lucky to eat meat once a week or less.
Mostly, people lived on easily sourced snacks of bush fruit, greens off ground cover plants, some easily dug roots along with a few insects.
Then along came grass grain harvesting and the creation of 'breads'.
But still the meat portion was small and it wasn't until the advent of settlements and farming, that meat animals became a regular part of the diet.

Most people today don't have the capacity to digest such large volumes of meat. Primative man laid around for days after a meat meal. It would have to be eaten raw or mostly raw to be digested. Cooked meat is hard for humans to digest. Primative man ate hot meat that was singed to remove the hair coat of the animal and heat the meat a bit. I doubt we/ us today would want to eat meat that way, half burnt, half raw, with lots of crunch from wind blown dust and charcoal from around the fire!

I really can't see the logic to the paleo diet. Removing fruit is stupid. Humans travelled miles seasonally to find fruiting trees or those bearing nuts. They gorged on the fruit or nuts, laid around a few days, then moved on.

They got their calories wherever they could.

The main reason they never carried much excess weight was that the quality of the food they ate was very poor. Also there wasn't much of it. It was afterall, only slightly better than a starvation diet. Nature always finds a way to prevent the animals roaming on the earth from breeding too much. Keeping the animals starving is a good way to prevent over population. That includes humans since we are just another animal roaming the earth.

Anyway that's my take.

Last edited:

Wayland.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Interesting points of view ClissAT. I think that we can only speculate as to what the paleolithic peoples ate, and certainly cannot generalise for the world as a whole. I think that those who lived in sub tropical regions could live quite well on what every grew locally the year round. The more temperate regions required the population to up and move as the winter set in. This cycle of moving north (northern hemisphere) in the summer and south in the winter signifies to me that meat was a key constituent in their diet. The clever bloke who sitting in his rock shelter thought, bugger all this walking I am going to trap my quarry in a box canyon, and live with them was enlightened indeed. During my student days we did a project on a Mammoth kill site in the east of England. Apart from the masses of crude flint tools, the huge amount of animal bones meant that vast amounts of meat was processed at the site. So what part of the world does the current paleo diet reference from?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Not wanting to be flippant about this very important issue but recently I was sick and lost a kilo a day for 6 days!
One would think that as one started feeling better, one would be feeling great about this weight loss, but pancreatitis is not a great feeling even while getting better.

Top Bottom