Howdy from the scrub.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tim C, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

G'day from the Riverland SA My names Tim and after Marks cordial invitation I decided to join. Apart from poultry, the rest is old hat to me. I'm a bush-boy. Born at Lameroo. Off the Soldier-Settler Mallee farm. Brought up on white sand. A woolclasser by trade , I've spent most of my life north of Broken Hill in the shearing sheds.. A hard working, hard playing and laconic Aussie lifestyle. My last 3 years were managing a sheep station out of Tibooburra NSW. I arrived at the end of a drought. 1200 sheep on the place. Then we had the wettest year in recorded history. Floodgates, flies, mozzies and fires. Fencing in the hundreds of Kms. Last summer was 48c for a month. The squatter had finished with me, now there were 5421 sheep. So I was sacked with a weeks notice....
    Now I'm back looking after Mum, who has well, bad, bowel cancer. She's a tough old bird though, and we couldn't live under the same roof. So I look after a mates block across the river at Cadell. He's been away, working in Joh's/Gods country for the last 3 years. It's 3 acres, mainly scrub, but with extensive(was derelict) irrigation . Red sand over limestone, on the edge of the Murray River Valley. A close-knit and eccentric community, so I fit in well. All the neighbours were over for a squizzy once they saw the lights on.
    I'm propagating bush tucker and lairy, conversation veg. Colourfuls and unusuals. We've had minus 5c the last 6 nights, so I'm glad for a small plastic greenhouse with an electric blanket in the bottom. Finally some seeds coming through..
    I say g'day to all, and apologise in advance for my narcissistic,opinionated and generally offensive prejudices. If I have knowledge it will be offered, opinions attatched. (opinions free!!) But I will try to maintain a gentlemanly stance for the ladies. Any purchased seed or seedlings propagated excess to requirements will be offered at postage. Knowledge is free, despite my many hours of research. Karma is reciprocal.
    So send your questions to Mark or the mediators if you are uncomfortable confronting me directly. Please don't patronise my opinions, as they are formed through life, not research. I am a bush mechanic, lay physicist, electronics/hydraulics/mechanics/phsycology and genetics GURU.
    If I don't know the answer, one of my other 36 personalities will.
    By the way, I never bred poultry, but as a kid I had a 410, and every sunday Dad would take me out shooting Bronzewing and Topknot pigeons, and Mallee Fowl, plus rabbits. We (I) would pluck/skin and gut them all, soak them in saltwater overnight and that was always monday night tea.
    I can set you right on humane despatch of sheep, goats and Cattle, and "overlanding" a beast- cutting it up on the ground without a gimble or pulley.
    I look forward to many and positive correspondences. Please don't raise ethics of animal harvest here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome to the site Tim... I think I shall enjoy the humour

3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Tim and thanks for becoming a member of SSC!

You sound like you've had a very interesting life thus far and have a whole lot to offer a self-sufficient online community such as this one, especially opinion wise and thinking outside the box.

As far as moderation goes, I don't believe in too much scrutinisation of conversations and as long as we don't abuse each other or use coarse language we're free to disagree and argue with each other if it ever comes to that. But mostly, we're all here to nut out problems, share information, and reach our common goals of becoming self-sufficient in something at least and if possible self-sufficient in everything! Maybe not everything :D

I'd like to see this...? Perhaps in its own thread about propagation in cold weather with a few pics...? This winter I was considering using my egg incubator to propagate some seedlings but I never got around to it. Might do it next winter though.

Welcome mate :twothumbsup:

4. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    :tease:

5. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's a misrepresentation! :nearlygotme:

6. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

Oh, yes. If you're not a vegan who defends land rights for gay whales-you're a loony. If you seek self-sufficiency, there is something seriously wrong with your mind! You must be dribbling down your bib and brace overalls and lusting after your sister, or related to the bloke from Wolfe Creek. Surely we should all abandon our ideologies and become baristas, or work for Woolworths?? It is far below us to get our hands dirty-let alone grow our own food! Can't we just let in a few Asylum-seekers to do that for us? Oh God, I can't even bear to look out my office window, let alone confront this heinous world...All them yobbos with their mullets, stinking the street up, it's enough to warrant my refusal to eat fish! This world is so ugly and cruel, I'm going to insist that my fluffy-cat becomes a vegan too. Cats can live on soy-milk and Tofu, can't they? We can get the Asylum-seekers to compost the poor and grow some more Mung-beans, and everything will be just hunky-dory.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scott Mac

Scott Mac Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hey Tim, you're one of those true blu bush poets I recon. Very enjoyable posts.
    welcome and I look forward to reading your posts.
    Scott

• Thanks Thanks x 1