Question How much of a Dragonfruit is edible?

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Wow, Dragonfruit actually have a smell? I've been missing out then, with the bought ones! I would say that if I had home grown ones I probably wouldn't want to spoil them by mixing them in with the skins either. I've bought a few from local markets and they don't taste that much better than the supermarket varieties. I've only tried the red-skinned ones (both white and red flesh) - I believe the yellow ones are much tastier but have yet to find them for sale anywhere locally.

The only reason I pureed the skins in the first place was to try to disguise the taste. They are almost inedible if you eat them whole but mixing them with the fruit flesh adds some sweetness (if no flavour in my case) and mixing them up in muesli further disguises it to the point where you don't notice the flavour much.

Very good question why the bought ones taste so poor. Maybe it's too much effort to fertilise them properly and they just use the bear minimum needed to get the fruit to marketable size? Given that they start to spoil on the supermarket shelf they probably aren't the freshest either as you say.

The dragonfruit itself doesn't give me energy so much as it gives me motivation. I might see something and decide it's too much effort I'll do it later, but with dragonfruit in my system my attitude tends to change to one more along the lines of "might as well get that done now while I'm here". The difference is pretty subtle though. It's more of a "mood improver" than anything else. In the evening if I look back at what I did that day, the days I had dragonfruit for brekky seem to be the ones I got more stuff done. But you still have to be careful to have the right kind of jobs ready - more than a few times my "productivity" ended up being watching a whole bunch of TV episodes before I noticed how much time I had wasted :rolleyes:

I think your mother was on to something with a high energy breakfast though. I had to give up eating sugar a couple of years ago as it was really badly affecting my mood - so bad that not even dragonfruit would have helped. But while cutting that out made a huge improvement to my quality of life (once I'd gotten over the withdrawal symptoms, which were actually quite bad) I noticed a big drop in my energy levels, and it took a good six months to get used to it. But having a really good breakfast helped a lot, so oats and pawpaw would definitely be on my list, especially if the pawpaw was home grown :)

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I love your thinking Berkeloid, much like my Mother's & mine also.
I was brought up to assess my day & what I achieved & yes, we both noticed how different we felt after certain foods.
I have always been a self starting workaholic. Those who aren't, aggravate me a lot! :blush: I know I shouldn't judge.......;)

My Mother always said "we are what we eat" & we both got a lot out of reading the several books written by Adele Davis.
I remember many years ago not long after joining the army, I was also still working a civvie job when I could (sshhh! I had skills that were in great demand) & often went 48hrs before I got to see a bed. I discovered a 'herbal' supplement simply called Active Enzymes which sure gave me a big lift but I had no idea what they contained other than it might have been some sort of cow or other animal intestine thing.
Then they disappeared from the shelves along with a good deal of my get up & go!
I've been trying to find it (the get up & go, that is) ever since. And yes, also trying to find a replacement for those enzymes.
Now residing in my much older & fairly well beaten up body, I often struggle to get up & go even though my brain wants to.

Bill Gatesian

Premium Member
Hello, im so new to this board. sorry if i am redundant in asking similar questions. i read all the posts but would like to ask if the entire flower is edible or just the petals. Can we consume the actual stamen and filaments as well?

Bill Gatesian

Premium Member
here is a picture

Attachments

• IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 668

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Can we consume the actual stamen and filaments as well?
That's a good question and a great image too. I'm not sure sorry... I'll see if I can find any info online.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
i cooked it and ate it 2 days ago... and i feel great..
Where would humanity be Bill if it wasn't for people like you pioneering what foods to eat! :twothumbsup:

How did you cook it?

Ani

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
This is interesting! I have been growing a few dragonfruit plants for about two years but haven’t got any fruit yet. I live in Brisbane. Are there non fruiting varieties?

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm in Brisbane too and mine have been growing (from cuttings and from seeds) for 3-4 years now and haven't flowered or fruited yet either. I think maybe they aren't getting enough sun, or possibly I'm over fertilising them which promotes green grown rather than going to seed.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Have a read of the other dragon fruit threads written this past year for heaps of good info on getting them to fruit.
Mine have gotten better and better each year since I put them in 5yrs ago.
This year the best one has over twenty fruit on it.

Top Bottom