how much does Solar cost to get started?

randy mason

Premium Member
Feb 6, 2020
Colorado Springs
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I want to get into solar, however the door to door people around here keep trying to sell me $20,000 systems. is there a way to reduce the cost by buying it in parts? I am electrically savvy but I have not worked around solar before. what are the key things you need to know about it? any help from not a salesman would be great! thank you.

Reactions: taisla97

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 22, 2019
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Randy here in Australia I bought a lot of mine secondhand .For a stand alone unit 190w panels $40, 2v 500amp batteries 3 years old 12 of for $1100 bought top grade inverter new ( locally made ) 3kw $ 3400 and new 60amp mppt regulators off ebay $120 might not be as fancy as the shop bought setup but works fine and a lot cheaper. Dave

randy mason

Premium Member
Feb 6, 2020
Colorado Springs
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
That sound a bit more manageable if I build it over time. What's some of your favorite places to look at for builds to start parts lists and such?

Strongbadd12

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2020
Massachusetts
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Careful with the batteries though, try to find batteries of the same age and manufacturer. If you mix batteries it will reduce the overall performance of your bank, as well as greatly reduce the lifespan of your batteries. The newer batteries will pick up the “slack” of the older batteries and shorten their life.

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 29, 2020
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Quote just came in, 8500 dollars for a 6.5 Kw solar array. Lucky I got that tax refund
cheers
tom
Depending on the panels/inverter that's about the going rate. I was quoted $8800 and got 6.6kw of Jinko panels with a 5kw fronius inverter. Paid $5116 after STC point of sale discount.

JoshW

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 29, 2020
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
So about the same, where are you located JoshW, were in Darwin and have extra cyclone ratings to worry about so the cost is about 2k more than anywhere else in the country.
cheers
tom
I'm in Albury on the NSW side of the NSW/Vic border Tom. I do know about having to have things cyclone rated up there, I lived there for a few years and have a brother that still lives up there. We went back last July for a wedding and wanted to move back in a heartbeat, however my employer doesn't have an office up there unfortunately. Cheers