How do you know summer is here

Discussion in 'Chin Wag' started by Flatland, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    How do you know summer is here? I know because the winter dung beetles have packed their suitcases & gone off to wherever they take their summer vacations. All I have now are the summer dung beetles. The winter boys & girls are ugly, huge, horned and work their big butts off. I think they run round begging the horse for some poo. As soon as she lays one they are onto it & within 24 hours all that is left is a pile of turned over sand. They earn their vacation. The summer beetles are small & lazy. If they feel like it they may take a nibble or two out of a pile before moving on to see if there is something better on offer.
    Still I should not complain it actually works out well . The winter guys take care of the poo when it is cold & wet & I don't want to be out there picking up poo. I would feel guilty if I picked up poo in winter because every pile would have beetles busily using it. So I only have to pick up in summer & that gives me enough poo for my veggie garden & fruit trees. Come to think of it I had better get off the computer & get out there with a wheelbarrow & start fighting the never ending battle for truth, justice & a poo free paddock

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'd be following them around taking photos :blush:

Pretty dry at the moment... water tanks are empty!

I think it might be a rum & coke afternoon :cheers:

3. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Hope you get some good summer rains to fill your tanks. Living in winter rain area my tanks are totally full at the moment. We had amazing rains here this winter

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Flatland, just remember that the more poo you pick up the more sterile & weedy your paddocks will become.
    Its been a very hard lesson for me to learn to leave the poo right there & rotate the horses through the paddocks for worm control instead.
    Soon I'll have a small tractor so I can harrow or drag a spreader around to break up the manure piles.
    I don't have dung beetles here anymore. I used to pick the poo to keep the place looking nice but I did myself out of beetles & the ground went rock hard.
    They are in the cow paddocks over the fence but don't come over to my place anymore because the ground is now too hard.
    Hopefully they will return once I start doing a light harrow every month or so.

5. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Well, I have to buy my horse poo since my pony training centre source dried up... :(

I have a pile under a tarp near my compost heap maturing nicely like a fine bottle of wine.

6. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Apparently horse manure & stable cleanings are available for free at Caloundra Race course training stables any time of the day after about 6am until mid arvo.

I imagine the same would apply at other race courses that have training stables.

There is an agistment place at/near Caboolture that sometimes advertises free manure in the Freebies section of gumtree.

Once I am more settled after recent events I will gather up a friend & go to Caloundra race course for a load which will be far better than the poor quality produced by my horses on this poor soil.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Let us know how you go!

But I have to admit I still don't mind paying a local $2 a bag for manure - doing my bit for the local economy :)

8. Flatland

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Most horse training places give horse poo away if you do the shoveling but if they have bagged it up they expect to get some small payment which I think is fair. Picking up poo, bagging it is a real pain in the you know what. It used to really annoy me when friends/workmates would want horse poo from me but expected me to do all the work for love & would get uppy if I said here's a wheelbarrow there's the paddock go for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ClissAT

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes I have those same values also, Flatland!
    However at racing stables, the poorly paid stable hands/come apprentice jockeys get the choice job of cleaning the stables every morning in anycase.
    The poo & bedding must be stored in fly proof bays & disposed of in the appropriate manner.
    So if they can have people come & shovel the partly composted manure/stable cleanings out of the bays for them & take it away for free, the stable is on a good deal.

I think for me that mixture is an excellent resource because those horses are getting the best diet possible so the manure will be very balanced & help my very poor soil.
    The addition of the bedding/straw is a bonus for both the composting process & my soil.

I just struggle to find the time to go get it.
    I thought I would be able to combine clearing out/cleaning my mother's unit with bringing home a load of manure since her place is not too far from the race course. But every trip (& they have been daily) has meant a full load of her stuff so no room for manure in the landcruiser tray. So it will end up being a special trip for the manure because tomorrows trip will be the last to the unit & I am bringing home the rich compost soil from her little raised vegie garden bed that I built & maintained for her. So at least my garden will benefit from all that lovely compost & worms although the poor worms don't last long here.

But I will start another bath tub bed with the soil from her vegie bed & that should grow one excellent crop of veg before the dam water kills it.