Home grown roasted eggplant recipe (Italian Inspired)

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Mark, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    With all the zillion eggplants/fruit we're growing in this bumper season I thought I'd make a video about one of my favourite ways to cook home grown eggplant. Enjoy :)

2. David Trees

David Trees Active Member Premium Member

Did your egg plants get hit by fruit fly at all?

3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    They rarely do get infested by fruit fly but it can happen. The evidence of strike can be found on some of mine but they hardly ever develop and ruin the fruit. I don't use any netting or precautions at all for eggplants and I might find 1 in 30 with a fruit fly maggot (I just bag it and bin it if I find a bad one).

Eggplants are one of my "signature" crops :) and apart from wilt virus I find them really easy to grow.

4. David Trees

Nice one. Chooks like infested egg plants a lot. I am allergic to Tomatoes, Capsicum and most nightshade family plants. I can eat Spuds but never two days in a row. So I love to grow them all but I cannot eat them all. Sounds like you enjoy growing them too!

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's a shame you're allergic to tomatoes etc does that include derivatives like tomato sauce?

6. David Trees

Tomato paste yes big time... Yet I can have Ketchup/Tomato Sauce no issue. However, if I water tomato paste right down I'm OK.

It was weird finding out. When I did and I cut them from my diet I barely get colds and flu now days. Dropped loads of weight too as my body was not in fiight mode all the time. This is why I am so committed to nutrient dense food production. :eat:

Oh the other thing I discovered I was allergic to was ... Whiskey... o_O I'm OK with that one as I don't drink it! LoL.

• Like Like x 1