Holiday Greetings and thoughts on What to grow

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Bea, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hope that everyone has been having a good time, wherever you are in this festive season, and please have a happy and safe new year celebration.
    i am getting ready to plant one of the boxes and just wondering what would be good other than lettuces. Brassicas? Roots? will it still get too wet for root veggies?
    Because I am at 4800ft it is pretty cool at night and up to about 8a.m.. then it is either hot and muggy or warm and rainy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    How much longer will your wet season go on for Bea?
    That should determine what you plant now.
    You said in your intro thread that you have to protect plants against the rain & hot weather.
    So apart from greens, there probably isn't much that you can plant right now unless your wet season is about to finish.
    Maybe its the right time to get a heap of seedlings started under cover so that in 6wks time when the weather is better, you will have a whole garden ready to plant out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bea

Bea Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    let's see. Probably until the end of march. If I can figure a way of keeping seedling trays away from the pup I will probably do just that. a lot of seeding is hit and miss. i have been coddling some orange thyme for a few months. I am down to maybe two teeny tiny plants with three sets of leaves that suddenly are not faring well without hot western sun for a few hours every day. I think I will plant more spinach, mustard and broccoli rab in the finished box and throw in more lettuce that is beginning to bolt in another box. One box is falling apart (wood) so I will just leave it and the plants right there. The last box, with layers of composting materials wont be ready for a few weeks.
    I am thinking that summers in sub-tropics is a bit like mild winters elsewhere, eh? You can only do so much without a greenhouse, and even then the lack of significant hours of sunshine limits what will grow. the tomatoes, peppers and eggplant are doing well under the plastic tarp and the peppers especially love the humidity without all the rain. I will just continue to rip up stuff i dont want and build an amazing compost pile alone and in the remaining boxes. that alone keeps me busy at this time of year. happy gardening.

• Like Like x 1