Hi from East Branxton, NSW

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jennifereckles, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Jennifereckles

Jennifereckles Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi All. We moved to a house with a 1/4 acre block in East Branxton this time last year and I am finally getting there with my vege garden and small orchard. I have had to remove two large trees, various shrubs and vines, rotting carpet, pavers, bricks concrete etc to finally get my blank canvas. The previous owners had plenty of ornamental shrubs but no "useful" plants that produce anything or attract bees and insects. My young fruit trees have certainly taken a battering with the frosts we are having, but it will be a bit of trial and error to see what works. The girls certainly like all the digging I have been doing and are scratching up a storm. I will have to see how I go with the chook-proof fence around the garden. It could be a challenge, they are persistent little minxes. I have been a follower of Mark's youtube videos for a while so I thought I would join the forums as well. Cheers, Jen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome Jennifer!
    I had to google Branxton as it is somewhere I have never heard of!
    Re your fruit trees and frost, have you seen a product called frost blanket?
    It comes in various weights and the lighter weights can be left drapped over young trees for the whole of winter without issue.
    It can also be placed over a wire hoop frame to cover a garden bed and held in place with clothes pegs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome Jen, it's a great forum, with lots of knowledge being shared around.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jennifereckles

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi, yes I have heard of it, I might have to invest in some for next year. If the mango survives. I think the pawpaw is fine, there is still green life in the centre. The carambola seems to have survived, the leaves are a little crispy but the branches are ok. I covered them with geotextile, but I think I left it a bit late. Missed by one frost.

5. Jennifereckles

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thank you Andrew.

6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome Jen and thanks for joining us!

It may take a few years for your fruit trees to establish but then they should handle the frost better. We lived in Wodonga for 3 years and it got really cold through winter there but we still had several citruses and a guava that grew well!

Some protection, when required as Clissa suggested, will help the trees in the early stages as they mature. :)

7. Auron Leonhart

Auron Leonhart Active Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome Jennifereckles!

8. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Jen, welcome from me too. You will find this a great forum. I can appreciate what it's like cutting down trees and cleaning up yard etc from previous owners. We have been doing that since we moved to our property 3 years ago. In the last few months we have chopped down 9 palms trees, 2 huge mango trees one will be left to re grow and put in a new front garden where we had to remove the old one first. It's hard enough setting yourself up with garden, fruit trees, veggies etc but even harder when you have to remove/undo what was already there.

Your hard work will pay off and you will get a garden just the way you want it. :)