Hi from central queensland

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Have just joined after looking at the forum for a few weeks have all ready found a lot of interesting info and hope to be able to add some of my own shortly . Bought a very rundown 70 acres 9 months ago has every bad spreadable plant known to man on it so we are still in cleanup operation but have started vegi garden and have a heap of fruit trees in pots ready for when we get the Orchard fenced against hares,rabbits,wallabies,and next doors cows. Regards Wedgetail

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Wedgetail, welcome.
Cleaning up 70ac will certainly take you some time!
I guess you are also waiting for rain to plant your orchard.
How is the drought up there?
I'm near Gympie and its bad here. No proper rain now for several years.
My soil is now completely gutless.
All the work I put in several years ago to restore my rundown soil has been undone by lack of water to keep it in good condition.

Your weed problem will multiply once it does rain.
Sometimes its better to enlist the help of certain animals to clear the weeds.
I'm thinking of adding reject hens from a local free range farm mainly for the manure they will produce and the biology they will encourage as I progressively move them across my paddocks.
Like you, I have a critter problem. I need to always use electric mesh fencing if I'm to keep the chooks alive out in the paddocks.

Reactions: DTK

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank ClissAT we are about 50km from Gladstone who's average rainfall to now is about 650mm they have had about 250 and our area even less. We have some small springs but only one is still making water but we leave that for the wildlife . Had a bore put down good water but only 350lph so have 2 tanks that I keep topped up giving us 44,000 litres to water the veg and fruit. Hope to get a dozen goats a bit later to help with weed control and to try my hand at goat cheese which I like but to expensive to buy just need to sort out the fences as the dingos are getting around here at the moment so it will be a good mesh with top barb and bottom electric I will put up some photos in a couple off days of the veggies and fruit trees. Cheers for now Dave

Reactions: DTK

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hope to get a dozen goats a bit later to help with weed control and to try my hand at goat cheese which I like but to expensive to buy
That would be nice... I wish I had the land to run some larger animals and make our own cheeses etc.

Thanks for joining us - sorry I'm late welcoming you.

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mark thanks for the welcome and the opportunity to be apart of this forum. Dave

Top Bottom