Hi from Brisbane

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mataeka, May 24, 2017.

1. Mataeka

Mataeka Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi there,

I stumbled across this site while doing a simple search for Brisbane self sufficiency. I'm really hoping to find more people who are my tribe, and the self sufficiency lifestyle totally beckons to me. At the moment my small family of 3 (husband and toddler son) live in a unit in Brisbane but we hope to move north towards gympie-ish at some point to acreage. I'm trying to get as much self sufficiency knowledge as I can before I get thrown into the deep end of owning acreage :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome to the site Mataeka!

What are your plans for the new property? New places are always exciting because they're usually a blank canvas

PS. Does the unit have a courtyard or something? You could make a start with potted plants and a worm farm etc?

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mataeka

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    End goal is probably like 80% self sufficiency. Aiming to definitely be off grid.

We have a balcony that I've got a crazy amount of potted plants growing on (tomato, lettuce, silverbeet and attempting garlic as well) and I've managed to nab a small area of soil for a few other plants (broccoli and carrot mostly ATM) I'm currently composting in 20L containers with the help of some BSFL :)

I'm keen to get a dehydrator at some point as I have a great fruit and veg shop that frequently sells bulk quantities nearby so I can learn to deal with gluts of foods ;)

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome Mataeka!

All the best for your journey into self-sufficiency. I'm not off-grid, but we do grow a lot of food, which helps reduce the overall grocery bill, it tastes great, and has lots of other obvious advantages. The only downside is you have to work at home for it - nothing is for free - but it keeps us fit and is a top hobby/lifestyle.

Growing on your balcony is an excellent start.

Thanks for joining SSC! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Welcome and well done Mateka. Starting off the way you have with barely any space to do it is testament to how serious you are about self-sufficiency. You will find a whole new world open up to you when you move to acreage but as Mark says there will be more work to do and more time needed to make it work. It is quite rewarding though. Enjoy the journey and hope to see more of you here.

6. Mataeka

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm currently staying at home with my almost 2 year old son and doing the maths its not viable for me to go back to work - particularly when this way I can spend more of my efforts reducing our expenditure in other ways :)

I also hope to be able to raise our son knowing where food comes from and having a proper understanding of what the process fully involves so he doesn't take it for granted :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Welcome.Great idea to get a dehydrator & so learn how to get the best out of gluts when you have them in the future

8. Skippyherron

Skippyherron Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome Mataeka! It's awesome you are planning already how you will live in the future after you move. All the best and welcome! Oh and you should have great solar dehydration potential as well if you didn't want to run a powered dehydrator.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    We use a dehydrator & it's great. When we have a really big glut we put the fruit in the dehydrator for 24 hours then take it out & finish it on trays in the sun. That makes room for the next pickings in the dehydrator & because the fruit has had 24 hours in the dehydrator when it goes onto the outside trays it is no longer wet on the outside so it doesn't attract ants which fresh fruit does. This way we can process huge amounts without a million ants moving in.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Mataeka

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've looked into the solar dehydrators as well but do like the idea of having an electric/controlled temp one - mostly from fear of me somehow food poisoning myself :D particularly since its not something ive done before so until I know what 'normal' is I wouldn't feel comfortable with relying on solar. - I do love the idea of doing a combined one though! (Electric followed by solar) definitely food for thought :)

11. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Always good to be careful but the chances of getting food poisoning from dehydrated foods is extremely low and that's, even more, reason for preserving food this way :)

12. Mataeka

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ooh that's handy to know!

• Like Like x 1