Question Hi everyone, Can I use dried sea weed in compost for a carbon source?

Brizzi Alex

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have just started my composting journey with a new tumbler and am looking for more carbon sources. Where I live there is ample amounts of sea weed (See grass) which wahes up at high tide. Can I use this for a carbon source when dried and if I do, do I need to be mindful of the salt that comes with it? Concerned that if it is unwashed I could be adding too much salt to my compost! Cheers for any advice.

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
It would be better fresh, seaweed is a great addition to your compost. Don't worry about the salt, just don't go too overboard with the amount you use.
All the other trace elements that are in seawater will be very beneficial to the compost, it has a good amount of calcium & magnesium among other things.

For a carbon source, use grass clippings & dry those out. I'm sure your neighbours would be thrilled if you offered to mow their lawn & take away the waste.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Alex,

shredded paper is an excellent source also cardboard, brown paper bags and newspaper (not colored ink) and of course, leaves. If your neighbors rake their leaves gather them right before trash pickup and your neighbors will love you for it !! Also, if there is a local tree trimmer that chips the branches, take a truckload off their hands, it will be a great addition and will also save them money. I also get the coffee shop's used grounds.

I wish I could bring home the seaweed and sargassum but hubby will not let it into the car, not even the trunk BOOOOO

Happy Gardening !
P J, the Dirt Diva

Top Bottom