hey all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by littlervheads, Oct 15, 2017.

1. littlervheads

littlervheads Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    hey all , my name is jennie. I slowly getting the itch for become self sufficient . we have started with quail
    I live in sunny Brisbane

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Hi Jennie. Brissy isn't looking too sunny at the moment :). The drought has finally broken :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. littlervheads

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    yeah been raining here all day , and more too come tomorrow

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Jennie, great to see you made it - sorry about the notification email but I'm glad you contacted me and we could get your registration sorted!

I was at a friends BBQ on the weekend and had an interesting conversation with another guest about becoming more self-sufficient. I often get "cornered" these days at events by people wanting to know how they can tweak their urban lifestyle and convert some of their manicured lawn into something more productive mainly for health reasons and to save some money.

This lady has chickens and is growing herbs plus some salad crops out the back in a small garden bed. Her problem is (being a built-up area) her current garden only gets sun 6 months out of the year due to buildings and trees blocking the light so she was wondering how to fix it...

I asked her if there were any other places on her property that gets sun during the other 6 months when the sun is in a slightly different position and she practically solved her own problem when she said, "yes the front garden gets the sun in summer, but how do I move the beds so they can follow the sunlight at different times of the year?"

A: You don't move the beds... You build another set of raised beds and alternate so when the sun is shining in that part of the garden you're growing and in the meantime, the other raised beds are resting for 6 months ready and rejuvenated for the next season!

So simple but fun to solve and chat about at a BBQ... :)

Thanks for joining SSC!

• Like Like x 1
  5. littlervheads

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    my problem is i live in a rental house so im going out on the weekend and get some garden beds from bunnings . look forward to growning some veggies and salad stuff . but would love land

• Like Like x 1