Question Help identifying plnat

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by The Rubber Kitty, Nov 12, 2019.

1. The Rubber Kitty

The Rubber Kitty Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hard to tell the size of the leaf in that photo, but if its a large leaf then possibly amaranth, or if a small leaf could be chocolate mint?

A few days later ;)
    Actually I can see there is a snow pea seedling under one leaf meaning the leaves are very big.
    So I'd say it's amaranth.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Rubber Kitty

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Heya ... yeah it appears to be a Amaranth/Spinachy thingy apparently and it doens't look like it is going to stop ... So it has been suggested to start picking the leaves ...

If I top it will it shoot from the centre stem? The below picture was taken not long ago

Attached Files:

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes it will reshoot from every one of those leaf axiels.
    You can see the new branches beginning already.
    This amaranth will get about 2m tall by 1m wide!!!!
    And want a LOT of water! I hope you are ready! ;)
    The more you top it the bigger and more branched it will get.
    But the more branches, the more flowers will eventually come from each axiel to provide the grain.
    So it's a bit each way. It you just want greens then don't cut the stems too many times.
    But if you ultimately want the grain, then cut the main stem to produce side shoot branching.
    The leaves will be a bit smaller but there'll be more flowers in the end.

5. The Rubber Kitty

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    OMG Awsome! ... I didn't know If I should cut the top off ^_^ .. but now I know it won't hurt it... as I have it in a 44 gallon drum... I will need a ladder to harvest leaves if it gets too big LOL...

Okay... top it and watch it floof out ... to protect some other plants maybe for shade...

My radishes have flowered, but my kiplfers haven't flowered... which I thought they would...

Well I till top the Amarnthe and make it a Triffid ... lol as my partner says...

I am trying to keep with the plants nad have forgotten which species of which I have planted... LOL but hey it is doing really well... thank you soo much for the help ^_^