Hello

Geoff

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I am about to try sauerkraut with this guy for the first time. Thx to Mark's video and great reviews on Amazon. I have attempted the old fashioned way, but air got the best of me. I plan on using cabbage, beets, and salt. Any other tips or pro advice i should know? Thanks

Attachments

• 20200504_204702.jpg
    20200504_204702.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 367

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I haven't made it in a crock before, I make mine in a giant bowl & let it sit overnight before putting it in jars. The salt draws the moisture out over time & works quicker if you give the vegetables a good pounding to tenderize them.

Making sure you have enough liquid is important, you don't want any of the cabbage or beets in contact with the air, so give it a good squash & put something heavy on the surface to keep it all submerged. You could put a full cabbage leaf on top & a jar of water on top of the leaf to weigh it down maybe.

Ingredients wise, garlic, onion, ginger, beets & cabbage are a great combination.

Geoff

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Hey,

Thx for the recipe. I am going to give it ago next weekend. I will let you know how it turns out :)

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am about to try sauerkraut with this guy for the first time. Thx to Mark's video and great reviews on Amazon. I have attempted the old fashioned way, but air got the best of me. I plan on using cabbage, beets, and salt. Any other tips or pro advice i should know? Thanks
I am not going to help in any way here.... But just want to ask where you got your crock from?
I ordered one in at my local store and when it arrived over 2 months later, it was not what I expected, it was a cheap ceramic one and was even broken in transit. I searched all over and the only other ones I could find around here are the same, they want $150 for a thin ceramic one.

Top Bottom