Hello from western Sydney

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Renee Shields, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Renee Shields

Renee Shields Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    hello everyone

I’m from western Sydney and trying to start my veggie patch. I’m very green to gardening and looking forward to working out how to grow foodies.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tassie Daz

Tassie Daz Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    It seems youll get a heap of info from here. For "patch" erection go to Gardening Aust web site to see how Peter Cundall erected the "patch" in the Hobart Botanical Gardens. 4 beds for rotation but if youve only got money for one well start there and increase as the dollars increase. But hey, its a lot of fun. Enjoy.

3. Renee Shields

Renee Shields Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks! I have three beds that are 1200x900 so it is a start. But I already have a lemon, lime, basil, thyme, mild Thai chilli, Origano, Pasley, Rosemary, echinacea, lavender, mint, raspberry, passion fruit, elderflower and sage growing in pots. They went ok till we got 40+ heat now trying to reguvinate them back

4. Tassie Daz

Tassie Daz Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Yeh the heats a killer. I watched my 5yr old bed of strawberries just wither up and go crispy. .ost of the other stuff survived but the strawberries, wow. Ive since pulled them all out and found the soil, which I really couldnt do much with, as the strawberries had gone feral were in rock hard soil. Oh well, the things we learn. Ill have to forego the 2 punnets a day during tge season until I can reestablish them.
    And your 1200x900 plots with season veg will help a great deal I sure. In the end its what you want and the volumes you can handle that count. We have 3 freezers so when our veg are going rampant my wife blanches and freezes so we have fresh all year round. But theres only the 2 of us. Not a family. Good luck.

5. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome @Renee Shields and thanks for joining SSC!

Raised beds are the go. My wife was doing some spontaneous weeding today on our newish raised gourd tunnel beds and she commented on how easy it was to just walk along lean over and pull weeds instead of getting down on hands and knees or bending right over. Totally worth the build... :)