Hello from Western Australia

50schook

Premium Member
Hi I have just come across this site & find it interesting. I have kept chooks & other animals all my life, but just stick to chooks & our dogs these days :twothumbsup:
I breed Polish, Wyandottes & Pekins right now but have had other breeds in the past. I needed to reduce the amount of breed I had so I chose those. :)
I want to be able to kill my own roosters for eating, but have never been able to do the deed, :( I still give them to my father to kill but he is getting on now & won't be able to for much longer. I can clean them once dead, as I have done that all my life, & watched my parents do it all my life, but I feel if I continue to keep chooks, I need to do it myself, so I found this site while looking for humane ways of doing it. It has been very helpful. :cheers:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome @50schook thanks for deciding to be part of our online community here at SSC :)

If it's any consolation, I've been slaughtering my own roosters for a few years now and I still find it difficult. I don't think any normal person would ever find the job pleasant or matter of fact (although my mother in-law says it doesn't bother her in the slightest but that's not surprising :D). I can justify "doing the deed" by ensuring our birds are given the best life possible and I make sure the end is swift.

I haven't kept any of the chickens you mentioned, I like the feather patterns and colours of the on the Polish and Wyandottes - beautiful. I just started keeping Pekin ducks but never seen a Pekin chicken.

Hope you enjoy it here!

50schook

Premium Member
I wish I wasn't such a softy at times, though I think my hubby likes me like that. He can kill an animal but he doesn't like it much either, but the fact he grew up in a time when young men went out shooting for a roo to eat, not for fun, makes it easier for him, problem now is he can't do the deed now either because of a physical limitation to his shoulders, it makes it hard for him to raise an axe or pull the neck swiftly. Anyway I really need to get to a mental place in my head to do it myself. Like you, I give them a better life than those caged fast growing chicken, but if I leave them too long they become a problem with the hens, & start causing damage. If I lock them in a pen by themselves, they are ****** each other, & thats not good either, so I have to be humane, if I can't find a new home for them. I wouldn't just dispose of them, that would be a waste of the life, so they would be eaten. :noevil:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I wish I wasn't such a softy at times, though I think my hubby likes me like that. He can kill an animal but he doesn't like it much either, but the fact he grew up in a time when young men went out shooting for a roo to eat, not for fun, makes it easier for him, problem now is he can't do the deed now either because of a physical limitation to his shoulders, it makes it hard for him to raise an axe or pull the neck swiftly. Anyway I really need to get to a mental place in my head to do it myself. Like you, I give them a better life than those caged fast growing chicken, but if I leave them too long they become a problem with the hens, & start causing damage. If I lock them in a pen by themselves, they are ****** each other, & thats not good either, so I have to be humane, if I can't find a new home for them. I wouldn't just dispose of them, that would be a waste of the life, so they would be eaten. :noevil:
Are they pure bred roosters? You'd think there would be someone keen to take them for free... In Brisbane, there's a poultry breeder who accepts pure bred roosters from people who want to give them away - that's a great service I reckon (not that it helps you over in WA, but just saying).

Top Bottom