Hello from Pennsylvania, USA

John M

Oct 24, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I've been a Self Sufficient Me viewer for a while now, but just today joined the forum. I'm a small-space home gardener in a location with all four seasons, and I've recently committed to growing more food at home. We're heading into our cooler season and I've got some leafy greens and the tail end of our summer garden still producing, but I'd like to find ways to get food from the garden year round. I'm also looking to do more preserving/fermenting and grow crops that store, like potatoes, garlic, onions, etc.

I can't explain how much Mark and other YouTube gardeners have taught me about gardening. While I'm here to learn, I'm also here to give back and I will help out others where I can. Growing a community of gardeners and broadening these skills is important and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 27, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello and welcome John, small spaces doesn't mean small harvest does it, in some ways, starting off small is THE best way to start, when you find that you are outgrowing your garden then you'll start to cast your eyes around for more space :think:Have you explored hot houses and or shade houses? Here where I am, a shade house or just growing things in partial shade is the only way we can get a crop over summer - that and using wicking beds/pots.
Be very interesting to see what you end up doing!!

Reactions: John M

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 2, 2018
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome John. I've seen a few experiments with compost piles in greenhouses used to heat them during snow season. It doesn't get cold enough here for me to use them, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

You could also grow leafy greens inside under lights fairly easily. Most don't need a lot of sun.

Reactions: DThille and John M

John M

Oct 24, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks to both of you for your ideas. I've been growing a few things indoors like herbs and leafy greens, and outside I've got cool-season crops like spinach and arugala under row covers. I made some improvements this fall and am well-prepared for spring planting.

The idea to use compost to heat the greenhouse is interesting - I don't have room for a greenhouse but that is an inventive idea.