Hello from Oregon

Brassier

Sep 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello everyone, my name is Ashley. I'm from Junction City, Oregon and happened upon Mark's videos a few weeks ago. They've been great to watch while breastfeeding and have reawakened a passion for gardening that I haven't had for awhile. Unfortunately in our current situation we dont yet have our own space for me to start my own garden although I do try to help with my sisters garden occasionally.

Once my husband and I get our own place I am hoping to at least start a container garden for a lot of things without overwhelming myself. For now though I am just trying to learn as much as I can so I can start off from a better position later. Plus it allows my older 2 kids to eat all the fruits and veggies they want to as well as hopefully bringing my youngest up with a love of gardening and fruits/vegetables.

Reactions: Teemac and Geo

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 2, 2018
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Ashley, container gardening is a great way to start out, you can grow a surprising amount of food in a small area. Strawberries grow well in containers & are a nice way to get kids interested in gardening.

Brassier

Sep 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I remember my grandparents having strawberries growing up and they were delicious to eat straight from the garden. I dont know that grandma had a lot of luck with strawberries in one of those strawberry planters (like a big pot with cut outs on the sides), do you have a specific type of container you would suggest using for the strawberries?

Thank you!

Reactions: Geo

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 2, 2018
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I used a big pot, around 20" diameter & it worked well. Anything smaller dried out in the heat during the summer here, although I did have some hanging baskets that worked well during spring.

Peas & cherry tomatoes also grow well in big pots & taste great straight off the plant.

I made a thread about growing in pots a few years back that you may find some good tips in:

Reactions: Geo and Brassier

Brassier

Sep 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I used a big pot, around 20" diameter & it worked well. Anything smaller dried out in the heat during the summer here, although I did have some hanging baskets that worked well during spring.

Peas & cherry tomatoes also grow well in big pots & taste great straight off the plant.

I made a thread about growing in pots a few years back that you may find some good tips in:
Thank you Andrew! My husband and I will likely be renting initially after moving out of my sisters so a container garden like that would be the perfect place to start.

Reactions: Geo

Geo

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 18, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Ashley!

The forum is filled with great knowledge - thanks @AndrewB for sharing your thread. You're giving me some ideas to start some threads with my own garden projects :D

Reactions: Brassier

DThille

Oct 12, 2020
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Welcome! I have in-laws that used to live in Depoe Bay / Lincoln City and we visited a couple times. It’s a beautiful part of the world you live in. On one trip we visited the aquarium in Newport (if I remember correctly) - that was a great experience.

Good luck with getting a garden. Does your community have any community gardens where you may be able to get a plot of land to work for yourself? There are a few around. At any rate, it sounds like you’ve got your hands full right now. Learn what you can so you can be prepared when you’re in a better position to be able to do some gardening. Fresh from the garden tastes so much better than the cardboard the supermarkets pass off as produce.

Derek

Reactions: Geo and Brassier

Brassier

Sep 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
You are correct that it was the Newport Aquarium that you would have visited, I havent been since I was a child. I don't think my town specifically has any community garden area, it's mainly country so people that want it have a plot of their own or there are several farm stands in the area.

I am working on learning all that I can so when we have our own place I'm good to start, I want to make sure I don't overwhelm myself as well as I will sometimes try to do too much initially and burn out too quickly. At this point we've definitely decided on cherry tomatoes (my middle child and I both love eating them) and cucumbers as my oldest wants pickles).

Reactions: Geo and DThille