Hello from Iowa

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by C.J., Oct 20, 2017.

1. C.J.

C.J. Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Good morning. So my young son woke me in the middle of the night and again I cant get back to sleep. So I got to googling around to try and tire myself out and I happened across this place.

Im what I would consider fairly knowledgeable about being self sufficient though admit that there is still tons to learn. My mom and dad have been pretty heavy into that stuff since I was a little girl and they taught me a lot.

I started getting back into it after my son was born six months ago as a way to save some money and its just kinda grown from there. With his medical conditions Im unable to work a full time job but do some modeling singing, a little writing and some artwork to bring in a little extra money while my boyfriend brings in the primary income.

Anyway. we moved at the beginning of the summer, and while our yard isnt really that big, my gardens helped out a lot. But am looking to find ways to expand on it. But living in town makes it kind of hard. The local ordinances make it impossible to keep any animals other than pet animals. So thats out.

I guess you could say we are taking baby steps right now.

So, thank you for having me and I hope to learn lots here.

2. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Welcome @C.J.
    Geez you're doing well setting up a garden with a baby to tend to. Hat's off to you :chuffed:

3. C.J.

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)

Thanks. It's rough right now though. Our son has spinal bifida. So we are into the doctors office three and four times a week.

4. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Welcome and hope you enjoy the site. Well done on all that you accomplish at your stage in life and I hope it works out well for you three.

5. C.J.

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thank you.

I did start younger than I intended. But so have a lot of other people, and they made it. So will we.

Mom and dad started even younger and they're running their own business and have land now. So we will see where Kyle and I are in a few years.

6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks for joining SSC @C.J. and all the best with your self-sufficiency to help with the cost of living. I got into self-sufficiency in the beginning as a way to save on groceries through GYO in the backyard and having a fallback on food from our own garden really did get us through some difficult times since I quit the workforce to be a home dad whilst my wife worked.