Question Has anyone successfully grown saffron crocus?

Erica Sandoval

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
It's crazy expensive and I love the stuff. Has anyone grown this and been successful? Is it worth it?

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I haven't grown it before, or actually even looked into it before you posted :) but it looks like a good thing for your climate, here is a bit from one of our seed companies:
It does best in temperate areas and dry Mediterranean conditions (VIC, SA, drier areas of NSW). It prefers areas with winter / spring rain and dry summers. It is unlikely to be successful in humid, subtropical areas, such as coastal zones north of Sydney and QLD but if you want to give it a try, plant it in a terracotta pot that can be kept fairly dry; be careful not to over-water. It is unsuitable for tropical areas.
Currently it is not available for sale but I might put my name down on the mailing list. Looks like an easy thing to grow.
this, I can provide :)
Position: Requires full sun, will not grow in shade.
Soil Type: Deep, rich, very well-drained, pH 6.5; compost and well-rotted manures are beneficial. :)
Hope you try it out, let us know?

Erica Sandoval

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I think I will! It will be a learning process as I haven't found a lot of in depth information about it. I love a challenge!

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I haven't grown it yet, but I ordered 50 bulbs the other day and am waiting for them to arrive. From what I have read, they don't produce much the first year, but do well the next couple of years, and then have to be dug up and replanted every 4-5 years.

Erica Sandoval

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I haven't grown it yet, but I ordered 50 bulbs the other day and am waiting for them to arrive. From what I have read, they don't produce much the first year, but do well the next couple of years, and then have to be dug up and replanted every 4-5 years.
Thank you so much! I'd love an update on how your bulbs do :) I didn't end up planting this year because my garden was already jam packed crowded, but hopefully soon. Ive been waiting on a fruit tree for 6 months! The mail is so slow right now!

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I will keep you updated. I intend on planting them in pots, so my chickens don't make short work of them. If they survive, and I have a few sacrificial lambs, I will try putting them out in the ground. The bulbs are really cheap, so it seemed like a fun experiment to try!

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Great video, thanks!

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
My crocus bulbs arrived yesterday!! I am hoping to get them planted tomorrow. I bought 50 of them, so hopefully a few will make it!!

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Planted the crocus yesterday evening, 45 into a raised bed and 5 into a separate container. Fingers crossed.

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
will be interested to hear how they go spector :)

Top Bottom