Harvested the oca

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Had a couple of frosts and the top die right off, ended up with a lot more then i expected they have been wash and now drying on the table. A few people in my area want to grow them next year more then happy to give them some, to many for us at home to get though.

Attachments

• oca.jpg
    oca.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 216

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Can you please describe your growing conditions? I had complete failure with Oca, I don't think it like my heat rainfall and no real winter.
Thanks and Happy Gardening !

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hmmm I know those as yams. They are from the oxalis family and grow well just about anywhere. I live in the cool to temperate zone.

They are like a cross between potatoes and sweet potato/kumara for cooking. I find they take a little less time than sweet potato/kumara. Roasted, boiled and fried is how we have eaten them.

Wiki says:

Oxalis tuberosa: is a perennial herbaceous plant that overwinters as underground stem tubers. These tubers are known as uqa in Quechua, oca in Spanish, New Zealand yam and a number of other alternative names. The plant was brought into cultivation in the central and southern Andes for its tubers, which are used as a root vegetable

Robbie

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I do have oca in the showcase section with a bit more of a discription for growing but they dont like temperature over 30°C and dont do well frosts

Top Bottom