Harvested the oca

Robbie

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Had a couple of frosts and the top die right off, ended up with a lot more then i expected they have been wash and now drying on the table. A few people in my area want to grow them next year more then happy to give them some, to many for us at home to get though.

Attachments

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Apr 2, 2018
Albury, NSW
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Wow, that's quite the harvest Robbie. How do you like to eat them?

DivingTemptress

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Nassau Bay, Texas USA
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Can you please describe your growing conditions? I had complete failure with Oca, I don't think it like my heat rainfall and no real winter.
Thanks and Happy Gardening !

nzmitzi

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 26, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hmmm I know those as yams. They are from the oxalis family and grow well just about anywhere. I live in the cool to temperate zone.

They are like a cross between potatoes and sweet potato/kumara for cooking. I find they take a little less time than sweet potato/kumara. Roasted, boiled and fried is how we have eaten them.

Wiki says:

Oxalis tuberosa: is a perennial herbaceous plant that overwinters as underground stem tubers. These tubers are known as uqa in Quechua, oca in Spanish, New Zealand yam and a number of other alternative names. The plant was brought into cultivation in the central and southern Andes for its tubers, which are used as a root vegetable

Robbie

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I do have oca in the showcase section with a bit more of a discription for growing but they dont like temperature over 30°C and dont do well frosts