Growing tomatoes and capsicums as perennials

t4ms

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2019
New England, NSW, Australia
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Hi everyone,

Over on another part of the forum [https://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/perenial-capsicum.2724/#post-21994] I was interested to read about treating capsicums as perennials. I live in a chilly/frosty part of NSW (New England) but I do have an area that is frost-protected.

I'd like to have a crack at leaving my tomatoes and capsicums insitu over the winter as it takes forever to get them started up here (meaning a very late harvest) but I'm not sure how to prepare the plants. I don't have a greenhouse so I don't want to pull them up.

Do I prune them right back? How vigorous do I prune them? I've always ripped up the plants so I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Cheers.

Reactions: Vicky

Vicky

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 27, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi t4ms,
I *think* that you would let your tomato plant do it's thing, keep tending it as though it will stay alive over winter but make sure there are no flowers or fruit left on once you have harvested your crops - whenever that finishes! Then you would just take off anything that looked bad or diseased and leave the plant as is, trying to keep it alive over winter. Not having had any experience with this, I don't know what the plant would do over winter, it may lose it's leaves and it may not. You'd have to just keep watching. Were it to survive, it will just regrow next spring? If any of my plants look and behave well this year I may try to do the same - I'm growing most of mine in pots so could move them to a sheltered place during winter. All the best with your experiment and keep us updated?

Reactions: 67HR

t4ms

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2019
New England, NSW, Australia
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Hi Vicky,

Thanks for the response.

I've had a search online and it seems that, because tomatoes are susceptible to all kinds of 'stuff', they aren't usually grown as perennials. I'm going to have a crack at it though if I have some healthy specimens come April. If I'm successful, I'll post some pics!

Reactions: 67HR