Question Growing Banana

Perry

Premium Member
Jul 14, 2017
Maryborough Qld.
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day,
I was given 6 young banana suckers. I want to know the best way to plant them. I had 4 trees before. When they had a bunch of fruit on them they would bend in half and the fruit would be on the ground. I tried to prop them up. Because they were in an open paddock the strong winds we get here, they would fall down.
How can I grow them so that they will not bend over. The root system only goes a short way under the ground.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Perry

Vicky

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 27, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Do you have anywhere sheltered that you can plant them? I don't have any myself yet but from what I've seen, people build a sort of compost pike underneath them to provide for their needs, mostly, I have seen them planted in a protected or somewhat sheltered area (not from the sun but from wind and frost?) and a few grouped together. Id like to try some myself but read that you should only buy from authorized sellers?!?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
There are a few ways to prevent bananas from bending over.

1, more water and massive amounts of fertilizer and biological life = bigger stronger trunks.
2, plant in a sheltered position.
3, use props. I cut 3m-4m long props with a fork on one end. Each tree will require at least two props pushed up under the bend in the bunch stem from opposite directions.

To Viky, all banana disease precautions have failed in Queensland because the wind blows the fungus around and the whole state now has panama so the restrictions no longer apply. The govt couldn't justify the expense of policing the whole domestic population once all the farmer were affected by the disease.