Greetings from the Mary Valley

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Marina McHutchison, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Marina McHutchison

Marina McHutchison Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hello everyone.
    We moved into our home last year, got started on the gardens and had brought our chooks along with us - just as we were getting the mysterious fruit and nut trees identified - we lost our chooks and things got busy, so the garden fell by the wayside, apart from loading up layers of cow poop and sugarcane mulch when I got my hands on it.
    I'm so glad I found this forum - we still have a few mysteries and I'd love to bring our citrus trees back to life - they've been struggling a bit, but I think a few need to be pulled out as it looks like the base tree (they seem to be grafted) has over taken the top half. All good though - it means a few limes and another orange can go in :)
    We've got the chook flock growing again too and may have solved the issue of the predators. It's so nice to hang out with people who like to get a bit of dirt on their hands - I'll be picking your brains soon I'm sure :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Marina, you have come to the right place, it's a great forum with friendly people and great info.

We lost a couple of chooks to snakes when we move to our place. We built a large snake proof pen to keep them safe.

Our yard was a bit over run and was a bit of a mess inside and out we are taming the yard, setting up a raised veggie bed area and an orchard. And renovation inside, so lots to keep us busy.

Any trees you are not sure what they are take pics and post on this site, I've done that a few times to found out what tree is this :)

3. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome to the site Marina. Tuchekoi looks like a nice area.

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi @Marina McHutchison and welcome to SSC thank you for joining us!

Sorry to hear about your chooks but I'm glad you are still pushing ahead to rebuild regardless.

Actually, I found one of my hens in a bad way this morning looking unwell in one of the nesting boxes... I think she may have a tick but I can't find one on her. For now, I have made her comfortable and given her some water but I fear she might die. She is a bit of an old hen so perhaps it's natural - I'm not sure at this point. Keeping chickens does come with challenges although for the great majority of the time they are easy to look after so I take the good with the bad :)

Good luck with your citrus trees - would it be possible to remove the graft growth and save the trees or have they been totally taken over?

5. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Marina, I'm just north of Pomona in the Mary Valley handy to the new highway.
    A few years ago I was able to purchase a Traveston Dam property that I had been renting for previous 7yrs so in all I have been here 9.5yrs.
    Luckily (touch wood) there are no foxes or goannas here but in the very dry years (like now) we get some wild domestic dogs which the gov't baits along my property back fence.
    My property is on a ridge which consists of a rock called yellow schist otherwise known as road base! My 'soil' is around 10cm at best & horrible! So is my dam water.

Mark your chook might be struggling to lay her egg. If her comb is laying right over, pale pink or even greyish & she is weak or walking like a penguin, if she feels hot & looks sluggish, then she has egg problems.
    If she is a commercial genetic line, this is the time of year when she will start to struggle.

The calcium gland might not be working properly & she will have a 'piece of coral' stuck in her oviduct that has to come out first. That's what usually causes the egg & oviduct to rupture which in turn causes the egg yolk peritonitis. That is usually fatal but I have been successful in treating it.

Keep the protein up to her using 1tbsp per feed x 3-4 times daily of raw minced kangaroo or beef mince (rather than grains or pellets) & water & keep her comfortable & away from bossy hens. It's all you can do.

You may have to hand feed her for a few days unless you want to cut her head off.
    It will take about 10days to get through it by which time she will most likely have passed the coral & broken eggs &/or a large pellet of broken shell. She may continue to lay shell-less eggs or weak shelled eggs which the other chooks will probably eat. You will also see chook poos that look more like runny egg yolk or runny frothy white.

It's not a bad thing for other chooks to eat those eggs. It doesn't mean your hens are becoming egg eaters but it might mean they all need more protein. If they have enough protein in their diet they wont eat shell-less or weak shelled eggs.
    I do hope she comes good as I hate seeing them suffer in so much pain. What scientists have done to chicken genetics to force higher production rates verges on criminal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Unfortunately, this illness has come on rather quickly and she's not eating or wanting to drink at all plus her eyes were closed from day one (like she's unconscious but still aware).

I've seen the egg issues in chickens before and most of the time they do recover but this does look like a tick bite, poisoning, or dying from an age-related problem like organ failure. I see no signs of a respiratory illness or other parasites on the bird either.

I'm forcing her to drink a little water - she seems fairly comfortable and not in any pain so I'll keep monitoring her until she recovers or passes naturally.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Skippyherron

Skippyherron Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi marina! Welcome to the forum! I hope you get your hands dirty soon and start growing again. This is a wonderful forum to belong to....friendly and very helpful!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mary Playford

Mary Playford Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Oi there Marina, nice to see you here. It’s all good, setback happens to the best of us :D

I just mowed my weeds and anything in its way in my front yard LOL. Tomorrow, I will do the backyard. Grass and weeds are faster to grow than the edibles and flowers I grow. There is a feral corner right at the back of my backyard that the weeds took over. Now, them weeds are seeding. I am going to reclaim that corner and plant some flowers and more fruit trees in there.

I didn’t get to plant any of my tomato seeds and most of edibles this season. I ended up buying some seedlings from Bunnings, so I have something growing. Most of my winter edibles are done, now its getting warmer. I just harvested my garlics, potatoes and beets. I also collected some snap peas to save seeds.

I am going to plant more beets, some carrots, cucumbers, zucchinis, watermelon, squash and corn. I am a bit late to put some in the ground but we will see as I am determined to get some growing. I will stick them in the ground and see what happens.

I don’t have chooks. I think they are a huge responsibility for me at the moment. I do love seeing them eating bugs in the garden and eating the kitchen scraps. Maybe one day :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I just love the phrase "mowing the weeds".
    Its amazing how many people just don't get the pun.
    :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1