Greeting from SE qld

Leticia Impey

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi ,My name is Leticia , I found this group when googling why my olive hasn't fruited which lead me to join . Ive been gardening for 20 years since I was teen mowing lawns etc and leaving school and doing a horticulture course. I have tried to have some sort of garden in every home I have lived in . Currenty 5 years on a property in Gympie South east Queensland . Im try to follow permiculture principles with planting etc . But basically created a jungle . After the last bit of rain every thing is pumping . Im growing a vast amount of plants from natives and bamboos to fruit trees and veggies. I may have had a tree addiction and had to stop buying as Im running out of room . Im focusing on reaping my rewards and maintaing everything. As its all growing so fast now all my trees/shrubs seem to be flowering and fruiting but havent had a huge crop yet. Except elderberries / luffas /passion fruit/ tomatos etc . I have a couple raised garden with veggies so waiting patiently to harvest. But I love to learn some tips on harvesting bamboo , few more prunning tips and yes how to make my olives fruit .

Attachments

• 20171126_140713.jpg
    20171126_140713.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 401

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Leticia & welcome to the forum, I'm down the highway a bit north of Pomona.
Everything certainly has leapt out of the ground since the rain started a few weeks back.
Such a relief to have greenery again!
re your olive, is it still a young tree? Maybe not old enough yet to hold fruit after flowering or too much fertilizer perhaps?
Also I think they do better when pruned each year even as a very young tree.
Somewhere a long time ago I read to not let them get a strong leader branch.
Do you know what sort of bamboo you have & are you 100% sure the label is accurate?
Apparently there are unscrupulous people in the industry tagging any old bamboo as certain types to increase the value because in most cases there is no way to identify them until they flower or they become invasive or fail to have the desired characteristics you thought they should.
If you are wanting to harvest shoots, they are cut from below ground once the diameter is big enough & they are around 30-40cm high. They enjoy a lot of fertilizer & water to get the best shoots.

If you want bamboo for construction you need to be very sure you have the right type as most will be infected with brers & go rotten very quickly once harvested.
There is a guy at Pomona, Tim, who knows all about bamboo. You can meet him by attending the Noosa Permaculture meetings & workshops at Cooroy. He has built a building they use for living in out of bamboo all engineered to council specs in Pomona. but he will tell you to be very careful with what you cut & how you treat it.
I use some that I harvested locally around the garden but it collapses after 3-4yrs, cant take much weight & wont hold bamboo nails without splitting & rotting.
From time to time there is bamboo for free on gumtree to be harvested down this way. But Tim knows all the good stands.

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I may have had a tree addiction and had to stop buying as Im running out of room .
I can so relate to this! :D

Welcome to SSC and thanks for joining us - you sound like a perfect match for our forum (mad-keen on growing everything possible).

Olives aren't the most productive fruit tree for a subtropical climate but most varieties will fruit in good time. We've managed to get around 12 kgs so far off our Manzanillo and Arbequina's.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome Leticia and hope this forum continues to be of interest and relevance to you in your quest to turn your jungle into a haven. Take care and keep us posted.

Robyn67

Premium Member
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Welcome and looking forward to hearing more about your veggie and fruit jungle.

Top Bottom