Question Greenhouses

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by AndrewB, Apr 18, 2018.

1. AndrewB

AndrewB Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    My boss gave me a rather large Bunnings voucher today, so I am thinking using it to make a pvc pipe greenhouse.

Once again, I'm renting currently, so it's going to be a temporary structure. Has anyone made their own greenhouse?

I considered one of the tent style kits they sell, but I have an awkward sized area to put it in, so think I could do better making my own to suit.

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Lucky you, Andrew! What a great boss!

What's the dimensions of the area you have to fit a greenhouse into?

You will get a far bigger unit if you can make it yourself, rather than buy something already made into kit form.

Do you want to put some sort of green plastic or shade cloth over it or just mesh like small gage fabric bird mesh?

Some electrical conduit will bend better than others. I guess you will want to stand upright under the center at least. So depending on how wide it can be will decide which type of conduit or poly pipe you can use.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AndrewB

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm limited to the area around the pool, which is only 1.8mtrs from fence to pool edge all around it. Not really enough space to get a curve in the pipe (unless I heat & bend them), so I will probably make it square with a sloped roof so the rain doesn't sit on top of it.

I had a look at some of the fittings today & the range is terrible. With the exception of the 90mm storm water stuff, none of the fittings match the pipe they have. I think I'll just get what I need off ebay & the pipe from Bunnings.

Using the solid pvc has the added bonus of being able to reuse it to expand my hydroponics setup when I buy my own place next year- at which point I'll be able to turn the entire backyard into a greenhouse :)

I want to use a white poly sheet to cover it. It looks to work pretty well, providing enough light in winter, while stopping the leaf burning that the mid summer sun can cause over here.

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here are the photos of the electrical fittings I felt might help attach the conduit to fences & pavers.

fitting collage 1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. AndrewB

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Thanks for that, the flat surfaces would be much nicer for mounting.

I think I'm going to have to build a base from steel or wood, then use the conduit for the roof. As I can't attach anything to the pavers or fence. These would work well for that.

I found a supplier of cheap steel patio tube today & I have built some pretty large shade houses in the past with that, so I'll probably go that way. Wood looks cheap & easy, but most of the time ends up costing more & not lasting as long.