Question Greenhouse floor

Discussion in 'Building DIY, Machinery & Tools' started by Helen Auriga, Dec 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Helen Auriga

Helen Auriga Ecological Farming & Landcare Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    I'm about to acquire a second greenhouse and would be interested to hear what people are using as flooring. My existing greenhouse is on a concrete slab - good but expensive. At work the floors are dirt and the number of weeds that grow really annoys me plus it makes it easier for rabbits to dig their way in.
    What do you have as a greenhouse floor?
    Thanks

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've always used crusher dust also known as fine blue metal. Yes there will be weeds in that medium because it's equivalent to fertilizer anyway!
    But as I read that you have a rabbit problem I'm at a loss to know what you would use.
    It would more depend on what the greenh0use was constructed of as to what would work best.
    If the greenhouse has solid walls & frame then yes concrete is probably your best option because you can have doors sliding in a track in the concrete to prevent rabbit entry.
    If it has a bent pipe frame & soft plastic walls, then that material wont keep them out anyway I suspect.
    So you would have to add chicken wire dug into the ground & run up the sides but what do you use across the door ends.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DarrenP

DarrenP Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Pavers of some kind could be a cheaper option, especially if you can pick up some second ones cheaply or freebies. Even those square concrete garden pavers/steps would work. You still might get some weeds in the cracks, but no rabbits.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Gosh Darren, what a good idea!
    Gumtree is full of free pavers!

5. Helen Auriga

Helen Auriga Ecological Farming & Landcare Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
    Thanks guys. The green house is metal frame with glass. I've used crusher dust under the water tank with a concrete border. I get plenty of weeds but they're not too hard to pull out. Will put feelers out for old pavers, i think they would need a crusher dust base anyway so they stay flat and stable. Will still need concrete border to bolt down the greenhouse. We get high winds.

6. DarrenP

DarrenP Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    For a greenhouse, you could just spread some paving sand to bed them in, and then lay the pavers. Spirit level and rubber mallet are the only tools you need.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Maybe consider concrete... weeds are so annoying they're bad enough in the garden let alone a greenhouse. How big is the area? What would it cost? Could you lay the slab yourself?

8. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I used pavers on ours, took about 30 for 8x6 greenhouse, 40cm size. The weeds haven't come through yet. Was new last year

• Like Like x 1