Grape vine novice

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by DarrenP, Apr 3, 2018.

1. DarrenP

DarrenP Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    I have a grape vine growing along the back fence that last year had some tiny grapes. Since moving in, I have done nothing with it, as that part of the yard has basically been a storage area.
    So my question is, can I bring it to a productive state, and if so, how? Do I need to cut it back?
    Sorry for what might seem dumb questions, but I have no knowledge of grape vines and their care.

2. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hey Darren,
    Like you, I don't have a load of experience with grape vines. But I guess you'd first need to find out what kind of grape. There are ornamental varieties which produce small (pretty inedible, bitter) fruit...and no matter what you do, it'll never be productive. If you've been lucky enough to inherit a "proper" fruiting variety, then I would think pruning it would be the best way to improve it's productivity. They're generally pruned pretty hard, and I'd think there should be loads of guides for viticulture online. (I wouldn't punt up how to do it in case I got it wrong!). (Just noticed you're in SA...well you'd have to assume no self respecting Sth Australian would plant an ornamental grape...or would they?!!)

3. DarrenP

DarrenP Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks for that. And no, you're probably right; it is likely to be a fruiting variety, especially as we live in the country. I cut down another one on a wire trellis, as it was interwoven with bougainvillea. That trellis now houses a passionfruit vine. But I would like to keep and encourage the grape vine down the back.
    I will prune it now and fertilize it with manure and compost, and hopefully next spring and summer we get some decent grapes.

4. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Grapes do much better if they are pruned back very hard at the end of their bearing season.
    Commercial vines are pruned back to the old stump & I see no reason why our domestic vines should not be treated the same.
    Once pruned I think they need a rest period with no water or fertilizer.
    Then when the time is right for new shoots (probably late winter), they are fertilized & watered.
    Water, compost & potassium enriched fertilizer are needed to produce good bunches of grapes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1