Gosling hatchlings for orchard

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Boris, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Boris

Boris Member Premium Member

image.jpg Hi all thanks for the welcome. Some new goslings to add to the growing menagerie. These little gremlins are going to mow my orchard. Looks like I will get four.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    This is very interesting! Did you get these goslings/goose eggs specifically to help with your orchard maintenance Boris? Are you going to house them within your orchard somehow or open your orchard occasionally for them to graze in?

Do geese make much mess - do they rake through the mulch like chickens do?

Lately, I've been considering getting rid of the grass in my orchard and mulching the whole area just to make it easier on the mowing etc but I never thought about using geese!

3. Boris

First period they will be with the chickens as there is a lot of grass in there and it is theoretically fox proof. When my hip replacement is settled I will be fencing orchard. They will be moved in permanently when I have it safe. They eat only grass and weeds. They are messy in their water as the swin and defecate at the same time so you either have to keep them out of water or change it regularly. The water is great for fruit trees. They don't muck up the ground much. If hatched by incubator they can be bonded to people and very friendly. Otherwise they can be very aloof, remind me of feathered alpacas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Ha ha :D That's a good way to put it.

They sound similar to ducks when it comes to water and making a mess are they happy enough with a large tub as a water source or do they need a dam?

So can adult geese get by on the grass and weeds alone (if you have enough) or do you need to supply feed also?

5. Boris

image.jpg Four finally hatched. Now to get them eating and drinking. Geese don't need a dam but do better if they have water they can swim in for hygiene. I will get a photo of my small troughs but they need regular cleaning. Grass is fine although some recommend extra before laying begins. Plus if you hand feed them bits of Apple and pellets they remain friendlier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Aren't they gorgeous :)

I've never had anything to do with geese but I saw some close up at the Brisbane Ekka this year in the poultry pavilion and they are big beautiful birds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Boris

image.jpg The four survived up to the night of the fox. Sheep had damaged the wire on the ground so that there was a small hole between horizontal and vertical wire. Fox killed 16 chooks and injured two of the geese so badly they died later. I will get a photo to the two survivors as they are very cute and so big now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Sorry to hear about the fox attack - they make me angry :mad: I wouldn't mind as much if the odd wild dog takes a bird and eats it but I hate how foxes just run rampant and kill everything they can and then leave the dead birds... it's heart breaking.

Great pic! They say if geese grow up knowing you they can be really tame is that true?

9. Bamboochicken

Bamboochicken Member Premium Member

T
    There beautiful have you still got some?