Goats

Sasha Bushell

Premium Member
Aug 29, 2016
Gold coast
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Does anyone have a little herd of goats?

Im wanting to get some research material prior to getting them, any tips/advice would be helpful.

Or if you have a favourite book/document to refer me to.

I was thinking of taking a goat husbandry course to start off with.

Any thoughts?

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2014
SE Queensland, Australia
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Don't have any goats now, have considered a couple of little Mini goats, need at least 2 as they like company but decided against it for several reasons.

When I was younger my family had 100 goats that we were breeding up to pure bred angoras. They need very good high fencing they are great escape artists. We had to round up escaped goats more times than I can count. We had a very secure night pen as we had trouble with dingoes.

Many of the goats were pregnant when we bought them and many gave birth to them in the truck which the mums ended up rejecting as the truck driver had to separate them. So we hand fed them which was lots of fun.

Are you looking at milking goats? I actually drink goats milk :)

I think taking a course of other ways to educate yourself is a good idea

Flatland

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Remember reading an article about what sort of fencing is needed to keep various types of animals in & when it came to goats it said you shoot the goat and bury on your place.

Janine Cummings

Premium Member
GOLD
Oct 28, 2016
Humpty Doo, NT
Climate
Tropical
I have a small herd of goats up here in NT. I started out with Saanen milk goats. Love them as kids but they grow up. They are a larger breed, and whilst the nanny stays relatively compact, the Billy gets BIG. I had no trouble handling them, but they were a nightmare for family if I needed a fill in for a period. So I sold the Saanen, and am now concentrating on minatures. Much less to feed, much kinder on fences, and you can milk any goat. Yes...they produce less, but if you're just interested in keeping your family in milk, they do fine! Fencing is a hassle for larger breeds. We have ring lock to 4ft and 2 strands of plain wire on to of that. If the Saanan billy wanted out - he just climbed over!!! Minatures are no drama at all with our basic fencing.

Reactions: Mark