Dismiss Notice
Today's Birthdays
  • Paul Mathews

Globe artichoke pups for replanting

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Mark, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Globe artichokes can be grown quite easily from seed but it's even easier to simply divide the pups when they emerge and replant them for the new season.

Sometimes one plant will produce several pups (off-shoots) from the base which can be sliced off and dug out with a nice sharp spade. Then it's just a matter of replanting and keeping the water up until the new baby plant has a stable root system.

I've seen where the mother plant does off completely without any pups only for a new plant to regrow in the same spot several weeks later so perhaps there can be a dormant stage before reshooting in some cases. I have also seen pups grow from the stem of the plant several inches from the soil and cutting the stem under these new pups (shoots) then replanting the stem piece with the pups attached can produce new plants - strange :think:

Once established, artichoke plants are pretty hardy (like any thistle) and are best not overwatered but they can withstand slightly heavy soils from what I have seen.

The artichoke is a pretty big plant and need about 40-50 cms space between each other and they can get to about 1/2 metre tall (and higher when producing buds).

globe artichoke top.jpg globe artichoke pups.jpg

2. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Those globe artichoke pups have grown beautifully and are now producing globes. I have about 15 plants in my garden ATM all of them planted this year from last seasons pups and it's amazing just how fast they grow!

globe artichoke in garden.jpg

I really enjoy eating artichoke globes and although they look awkward they're actually not that hard to prepare, cook, and eat. The taste is unique to artichoke and is quite gourmet especially served as part of an antipasto. You can get a good feed out of 10 globes and they taste much better than the marinated ones you get from the store - lots better! In fact, my wife doesn't like the store marinated artichokes but she loves ours and prefers them freshly cooked still warm whereas I like mine both warm and cold.

The other thing about the store or canned artichoke hearts is the size - they tend to be very small but when you grow them or buy the artichoke globe whole there's much more to eat. The base of the leaves can be eaten (dipped in a little savoury lemon butter) and the base of the globe is thick and tender after cooking or steaming for about 30 minutes. Of course, you can also marinate or pickle them after cooking for longer storage or to enhance flavours.

Here in the subtropics I grow my artichokes like an annual and tend to get about 5 - 10 globes per plant at this time of year (mid-spring going into summer). In cooler regions, it is grown as a perennial over 2-3 years and it's usually the 2nd season where the artichoke plant really bumps up production and can produce 20 or more buds/globes. In the subtropics, it gets too hot for the artichoke plant and it suffers in summer. Then, in winter they die back and start producing pups, which can be left in situ or dug up and relocated.

Therefore, in this part of the world artichokes are probably best treated as an annual and because less globes are produced in the first year I plant more to increase my harvest.

Boiled artichoke globe bases sprinkled with lemon butter :eat:
    artichoke globes cooked sprinkled with butter on plate.jpg

3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here's a video I knocked up - enjoy! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Turn this...

globe artichokes freshly harvested and petals cut back preparing them for cooking.jpg

Into this!
    stuffed globe artichoke bases with grilled cheese.jpg

Stuffed Artichoke Bases with kale, and beef mince topped with melted mozzarella cheese and an anchovy fillet.

Simply, prepare the artichokes as per the posts (and video) above then remove the petal bases until just the fleshy artichoke base remains.

Chop the kale finely along with fresh tomatoes, parsley, garlic, and onion stir-fry along with the beef mince add salt/pepper to taste.

Fill the artichoke bases with the cooked mince mix and top with mozzarella cheese plus an anchovy fillet (if you wish) then grill until melted - serve.

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Frog lucky escape when harvesting my globe buds artichokes - so cute :)

harvesting globe artichokes and removing petals.jpg

small frog in glob artichoke flower.jpg

frog in artichoke flower opening.jpg

frog all safe on globe artichoke petal.jpg