Question Ginger Root

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Perry, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day,
    Just after I joined SSC after watching Mark's video on growing Ginger in a Built up Garden. I decided to give it a try. I followed Marks instructions. Everything seem to be going fine. I have fertilized the bed with Blood & Bone, Chook Pellets and have kept it watered. Today I needed some ginger. None seem to be ready. I have taken photos to show. How look before I will be able to harvest some please?
    Cheers Perry

Attached Files:

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    If your ginger has not flowered yet it is not quite ready to pick for long keeping.

However, I see in the picture showing the stems coming out of the ground that there are soft tubers already.
    You can harvest them & they will be very juicy but they wont keep very well, if at all.
    So just use a sharp pointed steak knife & cut down into the soil to remove just the size piece you need.
    Well that's how I harvest young ginger. The cut will heal & continue growing to maturity.

3. Perry

Perry Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day ClissAT,
    Thank you for your reply. I did not know that the Ginger came into flower. I am making Mongolian Beef and I needed a small amount of ginger. In the Supermarket the price was $30 kg. When I purchased mine to grow it was $16 kg. I am pleased. I have a large bed growing now. I have done what you advised. I will continue to do that if I need some in my recipes. I cannot wait to see the Ginger flowers.
    Cheers Perry