G'Day from the D'Bay!

Mathew R

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'Day,

Matt here! I am an ex serviceman who recently bought a place in Deception Bay Qld in the Morteon Bay region.

I am a former Signaller recovering from a Brain injury, I recently discovered the spark I was missing. Gardening!

I am a part time junior horticulturist learning as I go!

I found mark on youtube and have never been a more active ans interested subscriber!

I can see my young family ( 8 month son) learning alot from the SSC and am eager to learn more about Perenial fruits and veggies that are simple and easy to maintain for someone whos brain sometimes... glitches.

Has anyone else grown Miracle fruit trees and any tips I would LOVE to hear!?

-Matt

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Matt and welcome.
I think you have got us all there with that one.
Not sure whether the growing of miracle fruit tree eludes us all or whether none of us need sweetening that much! :p

But when you give it a go please keep us informed!

Mathew R

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well I must say my miricle fruit tree has already fruited one fruit!!! However I did notice during my compulsive morning ritual of inspecting the tree I saw white pests!

Given the tree was only a new addition and my pride and joy, I spent thirty minutes ensuring (with a toothbrush and controll agression) the destruction of all pests, and the peaceful removal of one cute hungry hungry catapiller!

I stopped into the local plant shack and picked up some low dose pesticide for spraying if they wish to return!

Happy gardening!

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
However I did notice during my compulsive morning ritual...

I’m pleased I’m not the only one who does this...even though I know nothing much has changed, I just have to go “inspect” things - maybe my seedlings magically grew & bore fruit overnight!!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I just love walking around the garden looking intently at the plants. I often "need" to get out of the house and wander around the patch or fruit trees - it relaxes me greatly.

Thanks for joining us @Mathew R and I share your spark for gardening as it has helped me in many ways including coping with my own injuries etc. Gardening as therapy is immensely underrated :)

BTW, my last unit was 1 Sig Regt (I was the Squadron Sergeant Major for the logistics company) so I know sigs quite well! Cheers :)

Mathew R

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@Mark
*stands wobly at ATTN* "EEERRPPP"

Depending on your leave date you might have brushed shoulders with a couple of my long standing friends being Darren and Jeni Chiron/Ball.

She was at 1 Div/INT for quite the time (I think) and Darren ended up crossing over to the dark side before recent discharge.

My ADF career funnily began with a phone call from DFR whilst I was a gardener/ maintence worker on site at Enoggra BKS.

Thank you for creating such insightful videos and guides. It has been helpful having someone explain everything in a simple and repitious format that is easily digestible.
Have you considered making a top 5 perennial fruiting/harvestable crop vid?

If at all you haven't done it yet, would you consider allowing a visit from fans, my family (wife and 10 month old son!) to see "the dream" manifest with our own eyes?

Kind regards

Mathew.

Mathew R

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
[QUOTE="OskarDoLittle, post: 15342, member: 510" I just have to go “inspect” things - maybe my seedlings magically grew & bore fruit overnight!![/QUOTE]

Ha! I defiantly take pride in my morning ritual, I have seen fruit go from nearly nothing to harvest able within two days. I kind of go a bit uhh aggressive with liquid fertilizer but all in all I feel a sense of accomplishment when that small change of growth is noticeable.

Knowing that with due care and attention I can nurture and grow something I don't quite understand and eventually gain the skills and knowledge to replicate this in other areas.

What is your prized plant(s)? I'll upload a Pic tomorrow!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
If at all you haven't done it yet, would you consider allowing a visit from fans, my family (wife and 10 month old son!) to see "the dream" manifest with our own eyes?
Nina and I are working towards a goal like this - visitor days, etc but we're not there yet...

We have a number of "legalities" to sort out due to such a politically correct world we now live in lol... Plus, we want to do some extra work here so visitors have a better time.

But yes Mathew, I'm keen to get this going in the future as I think it would be fun :)

taisla97

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mathew,
I've recently moved to Bribie, so if you're ever travelling this way, I'd love to have more gardener friends.

Samantha Rose

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm in Narangba :) just up the road. I frequently visit the Plant Shack!

Top Bottom