Gday from Brisbane

Rattus Rachie

Oct 20, 2020
Brisbane
www.facebook.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey all!

I'm finally firing up on my self sufficiency journey, after a lifetime of loving the idea!

My name is Rachie, I'm at Sunnybank Hills in Brisbane and I've been loving the SSM youtube, Mark you're a character!
I've done my bachelors in biology, majored in plant science and spent a few years in active research in plant genetic engineering with a bit of work on algae, water filtration, and panama disease resistance over the years.
Which means I've got a head full of theory and absolutely no practical knowledge about actually GROWING plants, barring what I learned as a kid.
But I can talk your ear off about soil microbiota!

These days I run a rescue for domestic rats and mice (yes, there's an enormous community for it, and yes, the domestic ones) called Rachie's Ratirement Home (A pun worthy of this place I think!) and rats are my true field of expertise.

I have my own hand reared (pet) wild R rattus, hybrid wild type mice and R norvegicus, (the upside of getting guilt tripped into rearing the little buggers from lost pinkies is that they help me with education!) which are the pest species we see here in Australia, and I'm ALWAYS up for helping people find solutions to their rat problems that "see the world through their eyes" as it were. For the locals, I even ID and humanely euthanize wild caught rats out of pocket to encourage people to use live traps and humane killing or quick kill traps over things like glue traps or poisons that kill our natives.
It's a niche expertise, but if it can be of use to anyone please hit me up, I don't mind getting pics of the odd poop with a "what is living in my wall?"

On the note of gardening, we've been making pots out of the bags from the bales of wood shavings we use for the rats, stretched over milk cartons! The soiled shavings are a great mulch and brown waste, and old cage panels are holding up our cherry tomatoes, it's a real scrappy setup but it's bringing my partner and I a lot of peace.

Looking forward to learning from you all!

Reactions: Cathy

Rattus Rachie

Oct 20, 2020
Brisbane
www.facebook.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thank you!

Learning lots about soil, it's totally fascinating. We can only really set up as fast as we can create good soil at the moment, our yard is bare clay.

At the moment we've got some cherry tomatoes and silverbeet growing in the milk crates, and I'm soon to set up a planter of mind, and some perpectial spinach seeds are on the way from a local grower. Exciting stuff!

We grew up super poor in far south coast NSW so I have really fond memories of turning to the veggie patch for dinner, especially silverbeet and baby carrots!