Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 12, 2014
SE Queensland, Australia
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Does anyone have any suggestions for a garden knife to harvest veggies, could also be used for pruning some stems like banana leaves, cutting banana fruit down etc. Preferable under the $20 mark as this is for Christam ideas and we have a price limit :) I currently use a kitchen knife in the veggie garden but don't want to blunt my good kitchen knives. Folding one be good too

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Letsgo I use an old serrated steak knife which I got for 20c from the charity store.
It has large pointy serrations not small ones like a metal hacksaw blade.
Sharp as crazy, I have to be careful with it!
I had to paint the wooden handle pink so I didn't loose it!
I stick it in the ground at the end of a garden bed or in the last container I was working on so I can always find it again.
I also have a standard cutlery fork that gets a lot of use for digging around delicate plants or handling seedlings.

Reactions: Mark and Letsgokate

Mark

Founder
Staff member
May 27, 2012
Bellmere, QLD
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You can get those fold away serrated garden knives/saws with a slight curve from Bunnings etc they would work well. I have a large one (about 30cm long) it does not fold away and it does the job although it was a cheapie and is starting to rust up on me...

DarrenP

Premium Member
GOLD
Nov 24, 2017
Mid North SA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
When I went into Bunnings to ask about a garden knife, I was told they aren't allowed to sell knives. The only knife they did have was a lino knife, which turned out to be perfect with its curved blade.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
When I went into Bunnings to ask about a garden knife, I was told they aren't allowed to sell knives. The only knife they did have was a lino knife, which turned out to be perfect with its curved blade.

Lino knife...very interesting, I must check one out next time I'm in the big green shed. :D