Fruit Saver fruit tree net to protect against fruit fly, birds, & animals

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Mark, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Possibly, it's not that hard to pull apart the mesh if you really wanted to - I actually expected it to be a stronger weave.

2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I wonder if it'd be Fruit Bats. Maybe you need one of those Wildlife Cameras. (takes a photos when motion is detected, day or night). Not that it would help much even if you knew what it was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah, it could be that... a bat, because we have several perched around our place at night. I have always wanted a wildlife camera and they're pretty reasonably priced these days too on eBay - maybe for Xmas :)

4. Sharann

Sharann Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Interesting that you say your fruit flies are the size of house flies. The flies we call "fruit flies" are very tiny, like a pin head.

5. Ash

Ash Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    The fragile nets are easy to unravel. I bought the smaller fruit fly bags to individually bag each fruit, but then the birds managed to poke through them anyway, so I had to net the whole tree as well, and the cunning things don't give up. Only managed to get a few pieces of fruit this year from a lovely peach tree.

6. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical

We have 2 types of flies both referred loosely as 'fruit flies'.
    One is the true fruit fly being a striped black & yellow fly with wings that stick out at 90degrees to its body.
    Its the size of a wasp.
    The other is actually a fruit gnat being very tiny like a sandfly but doing a huge amount of damage to fruit crops.
    They breed in & feed on rotting fruit whereas the true fruit fly lays its eggs in the very immature fruit by stinging it & the larva consume the fruit from the inside out.
    Needless to say both are as bad as each other in reality so both need to be controlled in order to get a crop of any sort.
    The fruit gnat will come inside your house with you & live in there happily munching on your fruit in your fruit bowl whereas the fruit fly doesn't.
    The fruit gnat has a 3 day to 2wks life cycle whereas the fruit fly is a once a year kind of critter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Sharann

Sharann Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    It must be hard to obtain a good fruit crop considering all the pests you have to fight and if you are like me the use of chemicals is out of the picture.

8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It is a challenge yes but not impossible.

I would be lying to say that animals destroying and eating our fruit aren't a big disappointment because some days I really get disheartened when I see a nice big mango on the ground clawed (not eaten because it was unripe) but totally ruined for no reason.

However, each year I get more organised and find organic ways of reducing losses and although it takes effort it's still worth growing your own.

9. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    In an earlier post in this thread I wrote about 2 types of fruit fly.
    One being the Queensland fruit fly & the other being a small gnat fly that lives on & in ripe fruit often inside your house.
    Well I have just discovered its name.

Its a vinegar fly called Drosophila.

There are probably many 10's of varieties of these tiny fly types.
    Drosophila might not be the correct name for the particular fly that I have at my place & most others have at their places (here in Australia anyway), but for the purposes of giving the fly some sort of name, this name is as good as any I think! ;)