Frugal tips for growing grass

Discussion in 'Other' started by Skippyherron, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Skippyherron

Skippyherron Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hey guys,
    We are moving in the new year and i'm trying to get my grass up and looking great for when we sell.

There was a sandpit here but we just removed it to open up the backyard and make it look bigger.

Just wondering if anyone has some tips to try and grow grass without outlaying heaps of $$. I've brought some seed and have been scattering it around the place, watering it in, with fingers crossed that it will grow.

It doesn't grow well in the compacted dirt.....I was wondering if i should try and break it up with a shovel and pick first before throwing the seeds around on the compacted areas?

I have access to worm castings and chook poop. Should i be watering in some of that as well? i would dilute the chook poop heaps as its a 'hot' fertiliser.

Thanks for any help / advice.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes, I would till the area up a little by breaking the top 3 inches or so before throwing the grass seed down. If you spare some cash to add fertiliser that would be good, sone grass seed patching products come with fertiliser added.

And, water regularly! :)

Personally, I'm a fan of grass I really do like a lawn but there's lots of other things that can be done with areas not favourable to grass; for example, a chicken run, raised garden beds, paving, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OskarDoLittle

OskarDoLittle Valued Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I LOVE a good lawn...and yep, I even have books about growing it!
    But to be honest, I reckon growing from seed is a bit of a false economy - takes a long time (if you're hoping to sell early I the new year, I doubt it would look like an established lawn) and allows weeds to grow while waiting for the seed to thicken enough to choke them out.
    The fail rate is VERY high, because the seed varieties are often not appropriate to our climate and you'll blow significantly more water to get it established...IF it goes at all. (Just my humble opinion!)
    You should be able to get blue couch turf for about $6/metre. Most turf varieties are grown from runners, not seed, so they're more hardy. (And hey, if turf farmers can't from lawn from seed, what chance have the rest of us got?)
    For my money, I'd be tempted to cover the completely bare patches with turf and then try to boost the rest of the lawn with loads of appropriate fertiliser and water...and regular mowing. Although it will take a little longer on the compacted soil, and would ideally do better if you aerated the soil, it would cope much better than the delicate root system of a seedling. So you'd also save yourself some backbreaking work trying to create a soil bed that will allow the seed to germinate and grow.
    You could end up spending almost as much money on seed, roller hire etc...plus turf gives you a brilliant sense of achievement within hours.
    Of course I'm making an assumption about how much turf you'd need based on your photo...and it may well be ginormous!

Another possibility if you happen to know a friendly landscaper, is to see if you can get some "overs" from them. Generally the turf suppliers supply a little more than the order (or at least that's what my landscaper friend tells me) so often when a landscaper is doing a larger job, they end up with left over turf...and they're normally happy to onsell this this at a discount - otherwise they have to dispose of it. I managed to get my parents back yard mostly turfed for next to nothing by picking up turf this way.

If you're going to sell, then what you really want is something that looks impressive, with good coverage. In my opinion, that could add extra $$to the price of your house, which is well worth it I reckon!

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Skippyherron

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I found some fertiliser in the shed when we cleaned it up on Monday! I'll be tilling the soil before adding seed. Thanks Mark

• Like Like x 1
  5. Skippyherron

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Oh I never knew that about turf farmers and growing from runners. I really know nothing about grass growing except that if it lives in our backyard it must be hardy!

I don't know any landscapers but offcuts are a marvellous idea!

I really need to get onto it asap if it's going to look good in a quick amount of time.
    Thanks for your tips and info OskarDoLittle

• Like Like x 1