Frozen Mango recipes

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
For those who simply Lurv mangoes as much as I do, using the frozen fruit takes it to another level.

I love mango so much I give it even greater status by using my beautiful crystal tumblers which each hold a pint or 600ml.
Why not use the best glasses to drink the best food?

For those who don't like or cant get mango, rockmelon will almost do the same job but not quite as luxurious! And needs more banana to stabilize it.

I have a whole large freezer devoted to that part of my annual mango crop that I cant or don't want to sell including the very best fruit specimens.
I skin then slice fresh ripe mango off the stone straight into take away trays to get almost frozen solid.
Then I turn them out upside down onto my cutting board & carefully slice crosswise into 5 sections with a heavy chef knife. I then cover with the tray again, flip over, click the lid on & replace in the freezer all stacked up.
I also freeze containers of ripe bananas halved so I get 2 bananas per t/a tray although if they are small I will get an extra half in the t/a tray.

I also roughly dice fresh ripe mango into teaspoon(ish) sized chunks & freeze in single layers in the very thin t/a trays. Each tray holds about 1.5cups of flesh. This size is for the slushies & smoothies.

The chopping up of the frozen pulp is best done with a large heavy clever style chef knife with one hand across the blade end & the other hand on the handle & slowly cutting down through the frozen mango or banana in a seesaw action. If the cutting board is slippery, the frozen fruit might slip away so you have to hold it in place by placing your hand right across the knife blade & mango & cutting with a seesaw action.

Like I say....be careful with big sharp knives! ;)

The alternative to freezing the mango in solid lumps is to slice the fresh mangoes onto cooking trays in single layers & when frozen tip into cliplock bags. You will need around 1/2 cup fresh pulp per sorbet serve & 2/3cup per drink. This is a laborious method of freezing large quantities of mango & banana.

Mango Sorbet

makes 1 serve:-
1 segment of frozen mango from a t/a pack that was cut into 5 sections;
OR 1/2cup sliced frozen mango;
Sliced up into walnut sized chunks;
1 half of frozen banana cut into chunks.

tip into food processor, ninja or similar fast revving machine & process until thick but still quite frozen.
I have an older style processor & I can rock it as it processes so the frozen mango keeps coming away from the sides & falling onto the blades. But the modern processors often will stop if rocked.
So you might have to keep stopping the machine & scraping the sides down.
Once it is a soft smooth texture it is ready which takes around 1.5min.

Additives to add texture & interest to your sorbet:-

a few fresh washed mint leaves or peppermint leaves & a few drops of peppermint essence;
a small scoop of vanilla or coconut icecream;
And/or a few drops of coconut essence.

Mango Smoothie:-

enough for a large tumbler of semi-frozen brain numbing goodness!

1/4 cup chilled full cream dairy or coconut milk;
1/4 cup iced water;
2/3 cup frozen mango pulp.

Process the mango in the food processor until sorbet & slowly tip in the combined milk & water.
It will become a thick icy liquid.
Pour into tall glass & sit in the shade to enjoy. :)

Mango Thickshake:-

1/4 cup icy full cream dairy or coconut milk;
8-9 small ice cubes or 1/3 cup shaved ice from dispenser;
2/3 cup frozen mango pulp.

Process the mango & ice cubes to sorbet then slowly tip in the milk.
It should turn into a super thick almost icecream texture.
Pour/spoon into a tall glass, sit in the shade & enjoy! :)

Any of these can have 1-2 mint leaf added.
I'll add a photo tomorrow! I always forget to take a photo because I am so focussed on the cold food! lol

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
How delicious!

Thanks for sharing these recipes. What an amazing fruit mangoes are and to think we can grow them instead of paying ridiculous prices in the shop makes it more sweet :)

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Do mangoes grow down near Killarney ?

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Love the recipes and your shared joy in using the fruit.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Here's a photo of tonight's mango thickshake.
In my haste to devour this frozen delight I nearly forgot to get a photo!
:p
Mango Thickshake.jpg

Lois

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Good self control, looks great. I will give your article a read, thanks.

Top Bottom